Electromagnetic Potential as an Observable

In summary, the field quanta in E&M is the photon, which is an observable created by the gauge potential A(x) in QED. Classically, A is not an observable, but after removing the gauge redundancy, the two remaining degrees of freedom of A represent the two observable polarizations of light. The potential field itself cannot be directly observed, only the field strength tensor.
jfy4
Hi,

I suppose I'm a little late to start here, but I just got hung up on the following: The field quanta in E&M is the photon and it comes from the gauge potential in QED [itex]A(x)[/itex]
[tex]
A(x)=\int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3 \sqrt{2\omega_p}}\sum_{\lambda=1,2}\left[ \epsilon(p,\lambda)a_{p,\lambda}e^{-ipx}+\epsilon^{\ast}(p,\lambda)a^{\dagger}_{p. \lambda }e^{ipx} \right]
[/tex]
which is an operator on the fock space that creates a particle with helicity 1, momentum k, energy [itex]|k|[/itex], and no mass, the photon. But classically the potential [itex]A[/itex] is not an observable, so how come the photon is an observable?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
But A is observable classically! Specifically, the combinations

[tex]-\nabla \phi + \partial_t \vec A, \qquad \nabla \times \vec A[/tex]

are observable. A has extra gauge degrees of freedom. But the true degrees of freedom, after removing the gauge redundancy, are observables. You'll notice that after removing the gauge redundancy, A (a four-vector) has two remaining degrees of freedom; these are exactly the two observable polarizations of light.

Thanks Ben,

That's what I thought, that A is observable after preforming those operations on it. I specifically recall that the potential field cannot be directly observed, only the field strength tensor, which is what you have above.

Thanks,

Related to Electromagnetic Potential as an Observable

What is electromagnetic potential as an observable?

Electromagnetic potential is a concept in physics that describes the potential energy of a charged particle in an electromagnetic field. It is a scalar field that can be measured at any point in space.

How is electromagnetic potential measured?

Electromagnetic potential can be measured using a device called a voltmeter. The voltmeter measures the potential difference between two points in an electric field, which is directly related to the electromagnetic potential at those points.

What is the significance of electromagnetic potential as an observable?

Electromagnetic potential is significant because it allows us to calculate the potential energy of charged particles in an electromagnetic field. This is important in understanding the behavior of particles in various physical systems, such as in electronic circuits or in the motion of charged particles in space.

What are some real-world applications of electromagnetic potential?

Some real-world applications of electromagnetic potential include the design and analysis of electronic circuits, the study of the behavior of particles in particle accelerators, and the prediction of the behavior of charged particles in space, such as in the Earth's magnetic field.

Can electromagnetic potential be directly observed?

No, electromagnetic potential itself cannot be directly observed because it is a mathematical concept. However, its effects can be observed and measured through the behavior of charged particles in an electromagnetic field.