Electromagnetic Induction concept understanding

In summary, a galvanometer and coil were used to measure the induced current created by a magnet with defined north and south poles moving through the coil. Depending on the direction of the coil flow, the galvanometer measured an induced current, but when the magnet reached the end of the coil, the galvanometer read 0. The confusion lies in understanding why this happens, as the galvanometer should still measure an induced current.
roinujo1

Homework Statement

Using a galvanometer and a coil, we thrust a magnet with a defined north and south pole into the coil and the galvanometer measured the induced current created. Now, depending on how the coil flow(front to back or vice versa) the galvanometer measured an induced current. However, when the magnet reached the end of the coil, it read 0. Why did this happen?

Homework Equations

• ε=-dΦ/dt
  • I=Δq/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to understand why the galvanometer would read 0. Because when the magnet is going into the coil, North side going in, it started changing, but once it reached the bottom it read zero. I keep thinking it has something to do with movement, but I am 99% sure that is incorrect. Can anyone assist me in my confusion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture of the magnet, coil and the field lines of the magnet as it is in this position.

Related to Electromagnetic Induction concept understanding

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of creating an electric current in a conductor by moving it through a magnetic field or by changing the magnetic field around it. This phenomenon was first discovered by Michael Faraday in the 19th century and has since been applied in various technologies such as generators, transformers, and induction cooktops.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work?

According to Faraday's Law, when a conductor moves through a magnetic field, or when the magnetic field changes around a conductor, a voltage is induced in the conductor. This voltage then creates an electric current that flows through the conductor. The strength of the induced current depends on the speed of the movement and the strength of the magnetic field.

3. What is the difference between electromagnetic induction and electromagnetism?

Electromagnetic induction refers specifically to the creation of an electric current in a conductor by a changing magnetic field. On the other hand, electromagnetism is a broader concept that encompasses the relationship between electricity and magnetism, including the production of magnetic fields by electric currents.

4. What are some real-life applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has been applied in various technologies, including generators, transformers, induction motors, and induction cooktops. It is also used in wireless charging, metal detection, and magnetic levitation trains. Additionally, electromagnetic induction is the underlying principle behind the functioning of many household appliances such as electric toothbrushes, hairdryers, and electric shavers.

5. How does electromagnetic induction relate to Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law states that the induced voltage in a conductor is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field. Therefore, electromagnetic induction is closely related to Faraday's Law, as it explains how a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor. This law also forms the basis of many electromagnetic technologies and devices.