Electromagnetic Fields and Effects of Oscillation

In summary, the conversation discusses how electrical circuits in a house run on alternating current with a frequency of 60 Hz. The question is raised whether these currents produce magnetic fields and if the circuits also radiate electromagnetic waves. The reasoning is that since the charges are moving back and forth, they would form a magnetic field but not an electric field. However, it is pointed out that when charges accelerate, they radiate, and since the current is not constant, it does give rise to a time-varying magnetic field which in turn induces an electric field. Therefore, it can be concluded that the circuits do produce magnetic fields and also radiate electromagnetic waves.
Smetsnaz
The electrical circuits in a house run on alternating current. This is a current of electrical charges that oscillates back and forth at a frequency of 60 Hz. Do these currents produce magnetic fields? Explain. Do these circuits radiate electromagnetic waves? Why or why not?
I don't have any relevant equations, we are talking about qualitative answers--not quantitative.
My reasoning is this. If electrical charges move back and forth at a frequency of 60Hz then they are in fact 'moving' and would form a magnetic field. Since the magnetic field isn't chanigng however, it therefor wouldn't create an electric field (because they are caused by changing magnetic fields). So, I think I've got the first part of the question down: it does create magnetic fields. But, I'm not sure if the circuits radiate electromagnetic waves. Help me out, please!

EDIT: Grammar

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,

Any time charges accelerate, they radiate. This is common knowledge. But if you want to think about why, then consider that a charge moving back and forth is not a steady current (the velocity of the charge is not constant). Therefore, it doesn't give rise to a static magnetic field, but rather a time-varying one. And a time-varying magnetic field induces an electric field. A time-varying electric field induces a magnetic field. And so on and so forth. This is how EM radiation maintains itself and propagates.

Thank you very much, this makes sense :)

Related to Electromagnetic Fields and Effects of Oscillation

1. What are electromagnetic fields?

Electromagnetic fields are a type of physical field produced by electrically charged objects. They consist of electric and magnetic components that oscillate at right angles to each other and can travel through space.

2. How are electromagnetic fields created?

Electromagnetic fields are created when an electric charge is in motion. This can occur when an electric current flows through a wire or when an electron moves around an atom. The strength of the field is determined by the amount of charge and the speed at which it is moving.

3. What are the effects of electromagnetic fields on living organisms?

The effects of electromagnetic fields on living organisms are a subject of ongoing research and debate. Some studies have suggested that exposure to high levels of electromagnetic fields may have negative health effects, while others have found no significant effects. More research is needed to fully understand the potential impacts on living organisms.

4. How do oscillating electromagnetic fields work?

Oscillating electromagnetic fields refer to the alternating electric and magnetic components of the field that change direction and magnitude over time. These fields can be created by alternating current (AC) electricity, which rapidly changes direction, or by devices such as antennas that generate radio waves.

5. How are electromagnetic fields used in technology?

Electromagnetic fields have a wide range of uses in technology, including in power generation, communication, and medical imaging. They are also used in everyday devices such as electric motors, radios, and cell phones. The ability to manipulate and control electromagnetic fields has greatly contributed to technological advancements in various industries.