Electromagnetic Field in Empty Space

In summary: I see..ThanksAny movement of electric charges somewhere, will result in a magnetic field due to the current flow and a change in the local electric fields. Those E and M fields will propagate outwards at the speed of light through empty space. Energy is being radiated in the direction of wave propagation.In summary, our professor said that even without charges, there will still be an electric field in empty space. This is due to the presence of charges elsewhere in the universe.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Our Professor said there will be still an electric field in empty space even without charges.Hows that possible.Space-time has a some quantum property that acts like this ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If there are no charges at all in the whole universe, there won't be an electric field. But there are charges in the universe. You have an electric field even in regions without charges due to charges elsewhere.

I know but he meant something else ..

mfb said:
If there are no charges at all in the whole universe, there won't be an electric field. But there are charges in the universe. You have an electric field even in regions without charges due to charges elsewhere.
He said aomething like this.Theres electric fields or some field and ıf charge comes there like a postive one It disturbs the field.And makes our normal things it was something like that I don't quite remember

You may have misunderstood your instructor. I would ask him or her for clarification directly.

Dale said:
You may have misunderstood your instructor. I would ask him or her for clarification directly.

Ok I will

Well, technically "the electric field" is defined everywhere in space even without charges. Its strength is zero in that case. Usually this is called "no field", although mathematically the field is there.

mfb said:
Well, technically "the electric field" is defined everywhere in space even without charges. Its strength is zero in that case. Usually this is called "no field", although mathematically the field is there.
Make sense then...So ıf there's no charge in space-time its just there but "mathematically"
If we put a charge in space time charge makes a electric field so it become "real" ?

If we have charges somewhere, the value of the field becomes non-zero.

A field that is zero everywhere doesn't do anything, at least in classical physics.

Likes Arman777
mfb said:
If we have charges somewhere, the value of the field becomes non-zero.

A field that is zero everywhere doesn't do anything, at least in classical physics.

I see..Thanks

Any movement of electric charges somewhere, will result in a magnetic field due to the current flow and a change in the local electric fields. Those E and M fields will propagate outwards at the speed of light through empty space. Energy is being radiated in the direction of wave propagation.

Related to Electromagnetic Field in Empty Space

What is an electromagnetic field in empty space?

An electromagnetic field in empty space is a physical field that is created by the presence of electrically charged particles. It consists of electric and magnetic components, which are perpendicular to each other and oscillate at right angles to the direction of energy flow.

What is the significance of an electromagnetic field in empty space?

An electromagnetic field in empty space plays a crucial role in the transmission of energy and information. It is the medium through which electromagnetic waves, such as light, radio waves, and microwaves, travel through space at the speed of light.

How is an electromagnetic field in empty space measured?

An electromagnetic field in empty space is measured in terms of its electric and magnetic field strengths. These can be quantified using specialized instruments such as voltmeters and magnetometers.

What is the relationship between an electromagnetic field in empty space and the electromagnetic spectrum?

An electromagnetic field in empty space is directly related to the electromagnetic spectrum, which is a continuum of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation. The strength and frequency of the field determine the type of electromagnetic radiation emitted, such as visible light or radio waves.

Can an electromagnetic field in empty space be manipulated?

Yes, an electromagnetic field in empty space can be manipulated through the use of electric and magnetic fields, as well as through the use of materials with specific electromagnetic properties. This manipulation can be used for various purposes, such as communication, energy transmission, and medical imaging.