In summary: I haven't solved the tapered case? I don't know how to..?In summary, the untapered magnet works in the same way as the tapered magnet, you just have fewer variables (which makes it a bit easier). You should do the same thing as for the tapered magnet.
Sum Guy

Homework Statement

24y8tg8.png

Homework Equations

##\oint_{C} Bd\ell = \mu I_{enc}, B_{normal}## continuous across boundary, ##H_{parallel}## continuous across boundary

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\oint_{C} Bd\ell = \mu I_{enc} \rightarrow B = \frac{\mu NI}{2\pi r}$$

Any help much appreciated. How should I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you do the "->" step?
Where do you run into problems with the other parts?

mfb said:
How did you do the "->" step?
Where do you run into problems with the other parts?
I just don't know how to even get started really. I did the "->" just by applying amperes law, ignoring the ends of the core (because you could just take a line integral to avoid them).

... and ignoring the core, and assuming B is uniform in the gap. That is fine, but you should be aware of assumptions like that.

The untapered magnet works in the same way as the tapered magnet, you just have fewer variables (which makes it a bit easier).

mfb said:
... and ignoring the core, and assuming B is uniform in the gap. That is fine, but you should be aware of assumptions like that.

The untapered magnet works in the same way as the tapered magnet, you just have fewer variables (which makes it a bit easier).
So what should I do? :S

The same thing as for the tapered magnet.

mfb said:
The same thing as for the tapered magnet.
Please could you give me a clue as to what integral I would have to do? I'm struggling to see how I am meant to take account of the tapering in an integral amperean loop...?

It is literally exactly the same as the exercise you solved already, just with different letters because the ends are not tapered.

mfb said:
It is literally exactly the same as the exercise you solved already, just with different letters because the ends are not tapered.
I haven't solved the tapered case? I don't know how to..?

Related to Electromagnet magnetic field strength

What is the definition of electromagnetic magnetic field strength?

Electromagnetic magnetic field strength, also known as magnetic flux density, is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field at a specific point in space.

How is electromagnetic magnetic field strength measured?

Electromagnetic magnetic field strength is typically measured using a device called a magnetometer, which can detect and measure the strength and direction of a magnetic field.

What factors affect the strength of an electromagnetic magnetic field?

The strength of an electromagnetic magnetic field can be affected by the presence of other magnetic fields, the distance from the source of the field, and the strength of the source itself.

What are some common units used to measure electromagnetic magnetic field strength?

The most common unit used to measure electromagnetic magnetic field strength is the Tesla (T), but other units such as Gauss (G) and Weber per square meter (Wb/m²) may also be used.

Why is understanding electromagnetic magnetic field strength important?

Understanding electromagnetic magnetic field strength is important for many applications, including designing and using electronic devices, studying the Earth's magnetic field, and medical imaging techniques such as MRI.