Electricity- Power dissipation formula question

In summary, the reason why AC (alternating current) is used to power houses instead of DC is because of the transmission lines for electricity. By lowering the current, the power loss in the wires is also reduced. This is achieved through the use of transformers, which can step up or step down the voltage without changing the resistance of the wires. This is necessary because power must be conserved, and when current is reduced, the voltage must increase to maintain the same power.
cambalacus

Homework Statement

while surfing the internet i stumbled upon the following question:
Why ac(alternating current) is used to power houses instead of DC?

Answer:The answer lies in the transmission lines for the electricity. The wires have a defined resistance, and when current passes through them there is a power loss given by
W (power) = I (current) squared x R (resistance)

Clearly, lowering the current reduces the power loss considerably. The power transmitted is given by
W = V (voltage) x I, so we could multiply the voltage by 100, reduce the current by 100, transmit the same power, and reduce the loss in the wires by 10000.
This high voltage is desperately unsafe in the domestic situation, so it must be reduced. Reducing DC is very difficult, so it is much easier to use AC.

Homework Equations

How can one lower the current without lowering the voltages and, at the same time,without changing the resistance of the wires?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please go through the principle of step up and step down transformer.

Power must be conserved so that power in must equal power out (taking into account losses). Since power, in its simplest form, equals current multiplied by voltage you can readily see what must necessarily happen to the voltage when the current is reduced.

There's your answer.

Related to Electricity- Power dissipation formula question

1. What is the power dissipation formula for electricity?

The power dissipation formula for electricity is P = I^2 x R, where P represents power in watts, I represents current in amperes, and R represents resistance in ohms.

2. How is the power dissipation formula derived?

The power dissipation formula is derived from Ohm's Law, which states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. By rearranging this equation, P = I^2 x R is obtained.

3. What is the significance of the power dissipation formula in electricity?

The power dissipation formula is significant because it helps us calculate the amount of power that is dissipated or converted into heat when an electrical current flows through a circuit. This is important in determining the efficiency and potential hazards of a circuit.

4. Can the power dissipation formula be applied to all electrical circuits?

Yes, the power dissipation formula can be applied to all electrical circuits as long as the values for current and resistance are known. It is a fundamental equation in electrical engineering and is used in various applications, from household appliances to power grids.

5. How can the power dissipation formula be used in practical situations?

The power dissipation formula can be used in practical situations to calculate the heat generated by electrical components, such as resistors and wires, in a circuit. This information can then be used to select appropriate materials and sizes to prevent overheating and potential hazards. It can also be used to determine the efficiency of a circuit and make improvements if necessary.