Electric Power - Which formula to use and when?

In summary, if the length of the filament of a heater is reduced by 10%, the power of the heater increases by about 9%. However, if the length of the filament of a heater is reduced by 20%, the power of the heater increases by about 11%.
MeAndMyLucidLife

Homework Statement

:
[/B]
If the length of the filament of a heater is reduced by 10%, the power of the heater:
Options are-
a) increases by about 9%.
b) increases by about 11%.
c) increases by about 19%.
d) decreases by about 10%.

Homework Equations

:

P[/B]=I2R
Or
P=V2/R

Where P=power; I=current; V=potential difference; R=resistance.

The Attempt at a Solution

:[/B]
The answer given to this problem is: b) increases by about 11%.

If we solve this question using the formula P=V2/R, we get the correct answer.
But(obviously), we get the wrong answer when we use P=I2R.

However, I am totally confused about which formula of Power to use, and in which situations?

As one formula is used when V is kept constant, while the other one is used when I is kept constant.
Also, in one formula, R is directly proportional to power, while in the latter, it is inversely proportional!

What should be the thought process before choosing which formula to use when?

Please Help!
Thank You:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
MeAndMyLucidLife said:
P=I2R
Or
P=V2/R

Imagine you plug in a different heater with more power: Do you think the different heater will change the voltage of the grid or just consumes a different amount of current?

Last edited:
Likes MeAndMyLucidLife
Household electricity is provided at a fixed voltage. Appliances draw whatever current they need, so the current is variable.

In your situation you're changing the appliance's resistance so that the current it draws will change. Does that help?

Likes MeAndMyLucidLife
MeAndMyLucidLife said:
However, I am totally confused about which formula of Power to use, and in which situations?
Just note which one between ##I## & ##V## is independent of ##R## for the case in hand. The voltage supply ##V## remains the same for an electric heater, and current is subject to change with resistance, so you need to apply the second formula.

Likes MeAndMyLucidLife
MeAndMyLucidLife said:
Also, in one formula, R is directly proportional to power, while in the latter, it is inversely proportional!
Why should they not be? Is considering once ##I## as constant, and another time ##V## as constant, (when ##R## is variable) the same? Are they not related by ##R## itself?

Likes MeAndMyLucidLife
gneill said:
Household electricity is provided at a fixed voltage. Appliances draw whatever current they need, so the current is variable.

In your situation you're changing the appliance's resistance so that the current it draws will change. Does that help?
Yes!
So in this problem, it was an understood fact that voltage remains constant.
Thanks a lot!:smile:

Likes CWatters and gneill
PKM said:
Why should they not be? Is considering once ##I## as constant, and another time ##V## as constant, (when ##R## is variable) the same? Are they not related by ##R## itself?
Ya...Got It!
V=IR
All V, I, and R are mutually dependent.
Keeping one of them constant gives us the relation between the other two.
Thanks a lot:smile:

Likes CWatters and PKM

Related to Electric Power - Which formula to use and when?

1. What is the formula for calculating electric power?

The formula for electric power is P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes.

2. When should I use the formula P = VI?

This formula should be used when you know the voltage and current in a circuit and want to calculate the power consumed by a device or component.

3. What is the formula for calculating electric power using resistance?

The formula for calculating electric power using resistance is P = I^2R, where P is power in watts, I is current in amperes, and R is resistance in ohms.

4. When should I use the formula P = I^2R?

This formula should be used when you know the current and resistance in a circuit and want to calculate the power dissipated as heat in a resistor.

5. Is there a formula for calculating electric power in a three-phase system?

Yes, the formula for calculating electric power in a three-phase system is P = √3VIcosφ, where P is power in watts, V is line voltage in volts, I is line current in amperes, and φ is the phase angle between voltage and current.