Electricity & Magnetism Honors Project Ideas?

In summary, the author is undecided on what topic to write about for an honors project and is considering topics that are either too advanced scientifically or mathematically according to her current mathematical background. She is also undecided on what depth she wants to go into and asks for input from others.
jonathan1
I am going into my fall semester of E&M and am trying to decide upon a topic to write about for an honors project. I have not taken an E&M course yet so it is difficult for me to really find which topics are too advanced scientifically or mathematically at this point.

So far I have taken a classical mechanics course and have a calculus 2 background; I will be taking multivariable/vector calculus in the fall along with it although it is not required of the course itself.

Last semester i wrote a paper on Special Relativity so I was thinking of a possible topic as being Einstein's work which lead him to his discoveries of Relativity. Another topic I am considering is "what is static electricity" which I found was actually a large current research area according to a current magazine I read; the article spoke about how scientists currently only understand how static electricity effects matter but not exactly what it is or how its created (if I am not mistaken)

My main issue is that I do not know if these topics are too advanced considering my current mathematical background (again, up calculus 2 and classical mechanics as well as starting vector calculus concurrently in the fall). Do you suggest that these topics will be okay given my background or do you suggest something else?

Also, what I think would be interesting and what I would most like to discover is E&M's implications in gravity although I am not sure how advanced mathematically the topic would be.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how multivariable and vector calc is not a prereq for your E&M course.
If this is your first E&M I wouldn't do it on relativity since relativity is introduced as part of electrodynamics (2nd semester of E&M) and usually the first course if electrostatics.

I guess I don't know what kind of depth you are going into but I don't see a reason why you couldn't put something reasonable together for static electricity.

Concerning E&Ms effect on gravity, as far as I know there haven't been any theories that unify the two. I was under the impression that there is no known exchange mechanism between the two. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong because obviously light is red shifted.)

The thing is I go to Penn State University so engineering and physics majors generally take an E&M course during the third semester; at this point the math that has been completed is organized as: semester 1 - calculus 1, semester 2 - calculus 2, semester 3 - vector calculus.

Therefore semester 3 falls under having a complete background of calculus 2 alone with a concurrent vector calculus, although vector calc is not in the course as I have stated.

Since you are not sure on what depth we are going into, here is a link that describes the course: http://bulletins.psu.edu/undergrad/courses/P/PHYS/212/199900FA

Thanks, any advice will be helpful.

Also for clarification, a more advanced E&M course is generally taken the junior year which does require the vector calc

Furthermore, regarding a topic concerning electromagnetism and relativity, I am aware that the two are not yet unified as a fundamental force but what my understanding was that relativity required some knowledge of E&M if I am not mistaken which is what I wanted to concentrate on, E&M's applications in relativity -if that makes sense.

I was able to get away with writing a 10 page introductory paper on Relativity last semester during mechanics so I was wondering if that is possible to do from an E&M perspective.

You could definitely write a paper on the topic and it is quite interesting as well as fitting together quite beautifully. You may not completely understand it but you would probably learn a lot more than this class requires but it may make your next E&M course more manageable.

It's a great topic and it sounds like you want to do it so I say go for it.

Thanks for your input, anyone else have any suggestions?

Related to Electricity & Magnetism Honors Project Ideas?

1. What are some hands-on project ideas for learning about electricity and magnetism?

Some hands-on project ideas for learning about electricity and magnetism include building simple circuits with batteries, wires, and light bulbs, creating a homemade electromagnet with a battery and wire wrapped around a nail, and constructing a simple motor with a magnet, battery, and copper wire.

2. Are there any project ideas that incorporate both electricity and magnetism?

Yes, there are many project ideas that combine both electricity and magnetism. Some examples include building a generator, constructing a homopolar motor, and creating a simple speaker using a magnet, coil of wire, and a paper cup.

3. How can I incorporate real-world applications into my electricity and magnetism project?

One way to incorporate real-world applications into your project is to research and design a device that uses electricity and magnetism, such as an electric motor or a generator. You could also investigate how electricity and magnetism are used in everyday technologies, such as in computers or power plants.

4. What are some ways to make my electricity and magnetism project more challenging?

To make your project more challenging, you could try to design and build a more complex circuit or motor, or explore advanced concepts such as electromagnetism and electromagnetic induction. You could also incorporate mathematical calculations and measurements into your project to analyze the relationship between electricity and magnetism.

5. Are there any resources or kits available to help with an electricity and magnetism project?

Yes, there are many resources and kits available to help with an electricity and magnetism project. Some options include online tutorials and videos, science kits with materials and instructions for specific projects, and books or websites with project ideas and explanations of concepts. Your local library or science center may also have resources available for use.