Electricity & Magnetism: Help With 2 Homework Problems

In summary, the first problem is a straightforward integration problem, while the second is a problem of calculus involving the field at a distance.
dink
I just recently began the Electricity and Magnetism course. Having said that I'm requesting help with a general plan of attack for two homework problems, that is, conceptually understanding how to use the math on these problems.

First problems states there is a hollow cylinder of length h and radius R, determine the electric field at point d to the right of the cylinder (this is the axis through the center). It also states to think of the cylinder as a collection of rings and gives me nearly the same problem solved for a single ring. My question is how would I adapt the results of the ring?

My second problem is a uniformly charged disk of radius R and charge Q. This also has the electric field calculated along the axis through the disk. The problem asks show that the electric field at distances x that are large compared with R approaches that of a point charge. How would I go about grappling this problem?

What I'm essentially asking is a gameplan for these problems like, do I integrate and if so along what axis. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Physics news on Phys.org
dink said:
First problems states there is a hollow cylinder of length h and radius R, determine the electric field at point d to the right of the cylinder (this is the axis through the center). It also states to think of the cylinder as a collection of rings and gives me nearly the same problem solved for a single ring. My question is how would I adapt the results of the ring?
This is a basic calculus problem. You know what the electric field is at a point d from the center of the ring, so all you need to do is sum for the collection of rings (i.e. integrate).

My second problem is a uniformly charged disk of radius R and charge Q. This also has the electric field calculated along the axis through the disk. The problem asks show that the electric field at distances x that are large compared with R approaches that of a point charge. How would I go about grappling this problem?
Easy. Find the equation for the electric field at a distance r from the center of the disk (another calculus problem). Then, take the limit as r approaches infinity and compare the result with the electric field equation for a point charge.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, I think I have something to turn in at the least now. :p

Related to Electricity & Magnetism: Help With 2 Homework Problems

1. What is the difference between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are two closely related phenomena, but they are fundamentally different. Electricity is the flow of electric charge, typically carried by electrons, through a conductive material. Magnetism, on the other hand, is caused by the alignment and movement of charged particles, such as electrons, within a material. In other words, electricity is the movement of charge, while magnetism is the result of that movement.

2. How do electric charges interact with magnetic fields?

Electric charges interact with magnetic fields in several ways. Moving electric charges, such as the flow of current through a wire, create a magnetic field. Similarly, a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a nearby conductor. Additionally, electric charges can experience a force when placed in a magnetic field, causing them to move in a circular path around the field lines.

3. What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

The relationship between electricity and magnetism is described by Maxwell's equations, which state that a changing electric field creates a magnetic field, and vice versa. This relationship is known as electromagnetism and is the basis for many technologies, such as electric motors and generators.

4. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. The electric current creates a magnetic field, and the strength of the magnet can be controlled by changing the amount of current flowing through the coil. Electromagnets are used in a variety of applications, from doorbells to MRI machines.

5. What are some real-world applications of electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism have countless real-world applications. Some common examples include electric motors, generators, speakers, and transformers. They are also crucial for modern technology, such as computers, cell phones, and televisions. Additionally, electricity and magnetism play a vital role in many medical technologies, including MRI machines and pacemakers.