Electricity flow in the air when air is a conductor

In summary, Tesla's patent proposes that rarefying the air in a vessel can turn it into a true conductor with high resistance, allowing for the transfer of electrical power without loss. However, the validity of Tesla's work and patents is debatable. The use of plasma conductors and dielectric breakdown at high altitudes are well understood phenomena. Additionally, the concept of a true conductor with high resistance is contradictory. Tesla's ideas and inventions continue to be a subject of fascination and debate.
Akmalidin
I have read Tesla's patent and he claims that by rarefying the air enclosed in a vessel its insulating properties are impaired to such an extent that it becomes what may be considered as a true conductor, although one of admittedly very high resistance.And any amount of electrical power can be transferred without a loss.
Has someone tried this experiment in our century. How can we make so the air acts like conductor with less resistivity?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Akmalidin said:
I have read Tesla's patent and he claims that by rarefying the air enclosed in a vessel its insulating properties are impaired to such an extent that it becomes what may be considered as a true conductor, although one of admittedly very high resistance.And any amount of electrical power can be transferred without a loss.
Has someone tried this experiment in our century. How can we make so the air acts like conductor with less resistivity?

The Paschen Curves show the breakdown voltage of gasses versus pressure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschen's_law

Don't put too much faith into Tesla's work (including any patents). There is no free lunch. :smile:

Likes Jeff Rosenbury
Thank you for the link and advice.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Don't put too much faith into Tesla's work (including any patents).
Absolutely. You can 'Patent' anything you like but you don't have to demonstrate it will work.
What is it about the Tesla name? He may have been a few years before his time but not many decades /centuries, as people would like to think.
I wonder, if his name had been Smith or Jones, would he have such a following?
PS Some of my best friends are Smiths and Joneses so I am not being namist. :wink:

It might be interesting to make a survey of people who 'lurve' Tesla and find out how many of them have actually ever designed a system or device that works on a commercial level.
I am contemplating changing my name to Gandalf and marketing a few whacky ideas. I'd bet they would really take off.

In general this should be a plasma ( you are moving electrons away from molecules in a gas) - so at that point I would no longer call it air. The phenomena of dielectric ( insulation) breakdown at high altitudes ( low pressures) is well understood.

There is a weather phenomena that uses plasma conductors - but you do not want to be around it as it happens.

I noticed many many years ago that a lot of Tesla's ideas were a bit off. It seems that only more recently people have been willing to admit this. However, the Tesla worshipping fools never seem to give up.

Akmalidin said:
a true conductor, although one of admittedly very high resistance.

these things have opposite meanings...a true conductor (if there is such a thing - maybe a superconductor?) would show negligible resisitance

a conductor with a very high resistance, is by definition, an insulator.When a material is a conductor, and when a material is an insulator depends on context and conditions.
Akmalidin said:
And any amount of electrical power can be transferred without a loss.
how can you transfer power without loss across a very high resistance?As soon as somebody says "without loss" your alarm bells should ring: you are getting into perpetual motion territory.

If you like good stories about inventors have a look at the life and work of one of our local folk heroes :

http://www.harrygrindellmatthews.com/default.asp

Opinion is divided 50/50 about whether he was a genius or a con artist .

Some of his work has similarity to Tesla's .

I suspect what Tesla was trying to say was that air has a low loss coefficient and transmits EM waves well. To test if he was right about this, turn on a radio.

I'm one of those who lurves [sic] Tesla. Sure he was a kook. But he gave us AC power and the induction motor. That forgives lots of kookiness IMO.

Then there's the Tesla coil ... Kooky but still cool.

can you explain why i should not be around when air becomes conductor?

Akmalidin said:
can you explain why i should not be around when air becomes conductor?

windadct is referring to what zaps out of big black clouds

ah!

sophiecentaur said:
I am contemplating changing my name to Gandalf and marketing a few whacky ideas. I'd bet they would really take off.

many years ago when I was a wee boy, we went on a school trip to the Tower Of London. We were told by the Beefeater looking after us that a Grey Bishop called Gandulf built the original White Tower;

We thought he was winding us up to make the story seem like a fairy tale; but when we went back to school to write up our story, we were told by our teacher that was absolutely true.

He was the first of the Royal Engineers...anyway...

Related to Electricity flow in the air when air is a conductor

1. How does electricity flow through air?

Electricity flows through air when the air is able to conduct electricity, meaning it has free-moving charged particles (usually ions) that can carry electric current. When an electric field is applied, these charged particles will move and carry the electric current through the air.

2. Is air a good conductor of electricity?

No, air is not a good conductor of electricity. In fact, it is considered an insulator because it does not allow electric current to flow easily. However, in certain conditions, such as high temperatures or high voltages, air can become ionized and become a conductor.

3. Why is electricity flow in the air important?

Electricity flow in the air is important because it allows for the transmission of electricity and communication signals through the atmosphere. It also plays a crucial role in lightning and other atmospheric phenomena.

4. How can we measure electricity flow in the air?

Electricity flow in the air can be measured using instruments such as an ammeter or a voltmeter. These instruments can measure the amount of electric current or voltage passing through a given area of air.

5. Can electricity flow in the air be dangerous?

Yes, electricity flow in the air can be dangerous. Lightning, for example, is a powerful discharge of electricity in the air that can be deadly. Additionally, high voltage power lines can also cause harm if touched or if an arc of electricity jumps from the line to a person or object.