A question on electric current's density & flow.

In summary, electric current's density is determined by its intensity and the gauge of the conductor wire. This is described by the formula J = I / S, where J is measured in A / mm2, I is measured in A, and S is measured in mm2. The resistance of the physical medium to the flow of electrons leads to the generation of heat, which is influenced by the gauge of the conductor wire, the electric intensity, and the material of the wire. Thinner conductor wires allow for faster flow of electrons and the amount of heat generated is equal to rI^{2}, while the power transmitted is equal to U⋅I.
neomahakala108
Gold Member
is this true? thanks for help.

i wished to abstract (generalize on topic) from electric current in physical wires, to for example in air.

i hope this is in proper forum section.
----
Electric current's density J depends on electric current's intensity I measured in (A) & on conductor wire's gauge S measured in mm2.

It is described by a physical formula:

J = I / S,

where:
- J is electric current's density, measured in A / mm2,
- I is electric current's intensity, measured in A,
- S is conductor wire's gauge, measured in mm2.

As electrons flow between two points with different electric potential (amount of electrons & positrons in an atom), physical medium resists their flow & gets heated.

Amount of heat depends on:
- conductor wire's gauge, measured in mm2 - the more matter the less heat,
- electric intensity - the more amperes the more heat,
- conductor wire's material - the more resistance the more heat.

in thinner conductor wires, electrons flow faster.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Heat = [itex] rI^{2}[/itex]. Power transmitted = U⋅I.

Likes neomahakala108

Related to A question on electric current's density & flow.

1. What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is measured in units of amperes (A).

2. What is electric current density?

Electric current density is the amount of electric current flowing through a unit area of a conductor. It is measured in units of amperes per square meter (A/m^2).

3. How is electric current density related to electric current flow?

Electric current density and electric current flow are directly proportional. This means that as the current density increases, the current flow also increases.

4. What factors affect electric current density?

The main factors that affect electric current density are the type of conductor, its cross-sectional area, and the material's resistivity.

5. How is electric current density measured?

Electric current density is measured using a current density meter, which is a device that measures the flow of current through a conductor and the conductor's cross-sectional area. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by dividing the current flow by the cross-sectional area of the conductor.