Electricity book recommendation

In summary, the person is seeking recommendations for a book that explains electrostatics and electrodynamics thoroughly and intuitively at a level higher than high school. They are also concerned about their basic knowledge in calculus. Two recommended books are "Introduction to Electrodynamics" and "Electricity and Magnetism" and watching MIT lectures as a supplement. Additionally, the person suggests "Essentials of Electromagnetism" by David Dugdale and "Feynman's Lectures, Volume II" as further resources. It is noted that without a strong understanding of calculus, using an AP book may not be helpful.
Newtonsstudent
Hey PF,
I've studied electrostatics and electrodynamics in the past years in high school, but it was just school-study I never had a chance to thoroughly understand them,
I'd like to read and learn more about electrostatics and electrodynamics on my holiday, so I'd like anyone to recommend a good book that thoroughly, and intuitively explains electrostatics and electrodynamics and suits my level, I'd prefer the book to be even higher than high school level,
"electrostatics and electrodynamics" in two separate books or in the same book it won't really matter. Thanks a lot btw !

Physics news on Phys.org
The biggest problem you will have in learning from a more advanced book is calculus, specifically vector calculus. All the more advanced books will use it throughout.

Here are two books that you could use (assuming they are available to you):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201531747/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486656608/?tag=pfamazon01-20

What you want to know is in these books but learning it will be very difficult. But if you combine these with the MIT 18.01, 18.02, 8.02 video lectures, it should be doable. Difficult, time consuming, but doable.

Last edited by a moderator:
My calculus is so basic

Feynman's lectures, Volume II is good as a supplement (doesn't have problems).

Newtonsstudent said:
My calculus is so basic

That's what I was worried about. Without calculus, you would need to use an AP book like Giancoli but that will be exactly what you have already learned, I suspect.

Related to Electricity book recommendation

1. What is the best book for beginners to learn about electricity?

The "Electricity: A Visual Encyclopedia" by DK is a great option for beginners as it provides a comprehensive introduction to the basics of electricity with easy-to-understand diagrams and illustrations.

2. Are there any books that focus specifically on renewable energy and electricity?

Yes, "The Grid: The Fraying Wires Between Americans and Our Energy Future" by Gretchen Bakke explores the history and future of electricity, with a focus on renewable sources and their impact on our energy grid.

3. Which book offers a more in-depth understanding of the science behind electricity?

"Principles of Electric Circuits" by Thomas L. Floyd and David M. Buchla is a widely used textbook that covers the fundamental principles of electricity and electronics in detail.

4. Are there any books that discuss the practical applications of electricity?

"Electricity Demystified" by Stan Gibilisco provides a hands-on approach to understanding electricity and its applications in everyday life, making it a great choice for those interested in practical knowledge.

5. Can you recommend a book that combines history and science in its exploration of electricity?

"Empires of Light: Edison, Tesla, Westinghouse, and the Race to Electrify the World" by Jill Jonnes offers a fascinating account of the rivalry between three influential figures in the history of electricity and how their inventions shaped the modern world.