Electrical Power Equation Contradiction

In summary, the rate at which electrical work is done, also known as electrical power, can be expressed as P = I2*R or P = V2/R. The first formula suggests that as the resistance decreases, the power consumption will increase and the light bulb will grow brighter. However, the second formula suggests that as the resistance decreases, the power consumption will also decrease and the light bulb will get dimmer. This apparent contradiction can be explained by considering the relationship between current and resistance, where decreasing the resistance will result in an increase in current, which has a squared effect on the power. Therefore, decreasing the resistance will ultimately increase the power consumption and brightness of the light bulb.
FredericChopin
We know that the rate at which electrical work is done (electrical power) is defined as:

P = I2*R

, or:

P = V2/R

The formula P = V2/R implies that if the resistance of an electrical component (R) (for example, a light bulb) is decreased, the power consumption (P) will increase hence the light bulb will grow brighter. But the formula P = I2*R implies that if R is decreased, P is also decreased and the light bulb will get dimmer.

They can't both be right. What is your answer to this apparent anomaly?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FredericChopin said:
But the formula P = I2*R implies that if R is decreased, P is also decreased and the light bulb will get dimmer.

No, that would imply that we could decrease the resistance without changing the current which doesn't make sense. "I" will increase as the resistance decreases and since the "I" term is squared while the "R" term is not squared, clearly this equation says that if you decrease the resistance, you increase the power.

Consider a circuit with a voltage of 100 volts and 10 ohms of resistance. Current through the circuit will be 10 amps and the power will be P = 100 x 10. This equals 1000 watts of power.

Now, if we double the resistance to 20 ohms, what happens?
Well, then it's P = 100 x WAIT!
Do we really have 10 amps still?

If the voltage is 100 volts, and the resistance is now 20 ohms, that means that current is at 5 amps.
So, P = 25 x 20, or 500 watts. Doubling the resistance halved the power!

Or if we drop resistance to 5 ohms, then P = 400 x 5, or 2,000 watts. Halving the resistance doubled the power!

Thank you very much phinds and Drakkith (I understand!) :smile:

I understand the confusion that arises from the apparent contradiction between these two equations. However, it is important to note that both equations are correct and can be applied in different scenarios.

The equation P = V2/R is known as the power dissipation formula and is used to calculate the power consumption of a component in a circuit. In this case, the voltage (V) remains constant while the resistance (R) changes. Therefore, as the resistance decreases, the power consumption increases, resulting in a brighter light bulb.

On the other hand, the equation P = I2*R is known as the power delivery formula and is used to calculate the power delivered by a source to a component in a circuit. In this case, the current (I) remains constant while the resistance (R) changes. Therefore, as the resistance decreases, the power delivered decreases, resulting in a dimmer light bulb.

It is important to understand the context in which each equation is being applied in order to avoid confusion. In the first scenario, we are looking at the power consumed by a component, while in the second scenario we are looking at the power delivered by a source. Both equations are valid and serve different purposes in understanding electrical power.

Related to Electrical Power Equation Contradiction

1. What is the Electrical Power Equation Contradiction?

The Electrical Power Equation Contradiction refers to the inconsistency in the equation for calculating electrical power. According to the traditional equation, the power is equal to the product of voltage and current. However, in some cases, this equation may not accurately represent the actual power consumption.

2. Why does the traditional power equation sometimes give inaccurate results?

The traditional power equation assumes that the voltage and current are always in phase, meaning they reach their peak values at the same time. In reality, this is not always the case, especially in circuits with reactive components such as capacitors and inductors. This can lead to inaccurate results when using the traditional power equation.

3. How can the Electrical Power Equation Contradiction be resolved?

To resolve the contradiction, a more accurate equation for calculating power in AC circuits was developed, known as the complex power equation. This equation takes into account the phase difference between voltage and current, providing a more accurate representation of power consumption.

4. What is the difference between real power and apparent power?

In the traditional power equation, the product of voltage and current represents apparent power, which is the total power flowing through the circuit. However, only a portion of this power, known as real power, is actually used to perform useful work. The rest is consumed by reactive components and is known as reactive power.

5. How does the Electrical Power Equation Contradiction impact practical applications?

The Electrical Power Equation Contradiction is important to consider in practical applications, as it can affect the accuracy of power measurements and lead to inefficiencies in power systems. Understanding the complex power equation and its implications is crucial for engineers and scientists working with AC circuits.