Electrical Engineering vs Physics with EE electives college

In summary: If you prefer hands-on experience and enjoy designing and building circuits, then double E would be a better fit. However, if you are more interested in theory and understanding the subatomic level, then physics with EE electives would be a better choice. Additionally, you could consider double majoring in both fields to combine your interests and skills. It's important to consider your passion and strengths when making this decision.
CiscoCertified
Hi all, I am trying to decide between double E and physics with EE electives. I really love to learn theory and about what is happening at the sub atomic level however, I really enjoy designing, prototyping, and building electronics circuits, learning about all the components, how they work, and how to use them. Including learning how to work with common tools like multimeters, oscopes, function generators, etc. Based on this information how would one decide which major to choose? Some extra information, I always see physics as a bad ass thing. Knowing about the different principles and learning how matter moves through space and time.

EXTRA INFORMATION: I love Java, building my own water cooled pc's, Cisco networking, so I have considered Network Engineering and Computer engineering (comp engineering being my third choice for major), FIRST Robotics, SeaPerch, Solving problems. As a little kid I was the one who found the screw driver and took random items apart to find out what made them "tick". So I suppose I am like a hybrid and might as well double major.

Physics news on Phys.org
One approach you could take is to take an electronics course in the physics department (if offered) and then decide.

Related to Electrical Engineering vs Physics with EE electives college

Question 1: What is the main difference between Electrical Engineering and Physics with EE electives in college?

The main difference between Electrical Engineering and Physics with EE electives is that Electrical Engineering is a specialized engineering field that focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while Physics with EE electives is a physics major with additional elective courses in electrical engineering.

Question 2: What are the core courses for Electrical Engineering and Physics with EE electives in college?

The core courses for Electrical Engineering typically include circuits, electronics, electromagnetics, and digital systems, while the core courses for Physics with EE electives usually include introductory physics, calculus, and a selection of advanced physics courses such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism.

Question 3: Can students pursuing Electrical Engineering and Physics with EE electives in college take similar courses?

Yes, students pursuing both degrees can take similar courses such as circuits, electronics, and electromagnetics. However, the depth and focus of these courses may differ depending on the program requirements.

Question 4: What career opportunities are available for graduates of Electrical Engineering and Physics with EE electives in college?

Graduates of Electrical Engineering can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including power and energy, telecommunications, and electronics. Graduates of Physics with EE electives can pursue careers in research and development, data analysis, and technical writing, among others.

Question 5: Which degree is better for someone interested in pursuing a career in research?

Both degrees can lead to a career in research, but Physics with EE electives may be more suitable for those interested in fundamental research in areas such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. Electrical Engineering may be a better choice for those interested in applied research in fields such as power systems and telecommunications.