Electrical Engineering Online Degree

In summary, the individual is seeking guidance on alternative options for obtaining a cheaper degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering. They mention possibly pursuing an Associates degree, but are unsure if this is a viable option. They also mention their experience and interest in the field, and express concerns about missing out on hands-on labs if they pursue an online degree. They receive a response advising them to look for an accredited Electrical Engineering Technology program and to ensure that any community college classes they take will transfer to a 4-year university. The individual then confirms that they have found transferable classes at a community college in their area.
eddie90
Hello I would GREATLY appreciate any help or guidance you can provide in this matter.

I am a 21 year old student currently enrolled at the California State University of Los Angeles and I am currently preparing myself to begin working on my Electrical and Computer Engineering BS. Only problem is that I am paying for school out of my own pocket at the moment and as you guys probably know it is not cheap right now. So I want to find alternatives to getting my degree for cheaper perhaps. I know many schools like ITT Tech offer what many people call "watered down" education so this is why I want to be careful about where I go if I do find an alternative.

Also, I know that finding a good quality, fully-online BS program might be hard so if you guys can instead, refer me to any place where I can get an Associates degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering I would also appreciate that.

The reason I mentioned the Associates is because I've been reading and learned that by getting an Associates I can start seeking employment as an Electrical Engineering Technician (or a similar title). I know this will provide me with working experience in the field and definitely provide me with a better income to have a more comfortable living style and help pay for by Bachelors. I AM working full time at the moment for a surveillance company but the money is not all that. So what do you guys think about this Associates degree idea(or backup plan) of mine??

I have beginners experience with programming microcontrollers, building simple robots/circuits etc and I am very good at learning on my own, well at least when it comes to this subject since it is of great interest to me.(Idk if this helps but I thought I'd share)
Anyway ANY help would be very appreciate it since I've been trying to figure this out like crazy, I will continue to do research and see what I come up with as well.

P.S. Sorry for the long post

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt there are Associate's degrees in "Electrical and Computer Engineering" as "Engineering" usually implies a 4 year degree. What you may be looking for is an Electrical Engineering Technology program, or something of that sort. You'll probably want one that's ABET accredited. I suggest you go here:

http://main.abet.org/aps/Accreditedprogramsearch.aspx

and look at the list of colleges with accredited programs in your preferred field.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of introductory engineering and science classes have a laboratory component (for example, Chemistry, Physics, Circuits, and Electronics often have labs). So by doing a degree entirely online you may be missing out on important skills.

sweetpotato said:
I doubt there are Associate's degrees in "Electrical and Computer Engineering" as "Engineering" usually implies a 4 year degree. What you may be looking for is an Electrical Engineering Technology program, or something of that sort. You'll probably want one that's ABET accredited. I suggest you go here:

http://main.abet.org/aps/Accreditedprogramsearch.aspx

and look at the list of colleges with accredited programs in your preferred field.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of introductory engineering and science classes have a laboratory component (for example, Chemistry, Physics, Circuits, and Electronics often have labs). So by doing a degree entirely online you may be missing out on important skills.

Thank you for the reply. You're right, what I meant to say was Electrical Engineering Technology. Thanks for the link I am currently looking through the results I got there and there is nothing in california for a 2 year Associate's program. Anyway I thought about what you said and yes I agree that hands on labs are very essential in this field so I might just though it out for now and stay at CSULA.

Thank you for you're help. I will keep looking around at community colleges too, I think I should be able to find at least a few EE classes that are transferable right?

Usually community college classes like calculus, physics, and chemistry transfer to 4 year schools. For more "engineering" type classes, like say if a community college offered a Circuits class, I would double-check that it transfers to a 4 year college. Many community colleges have programs where a student studies there for 2 years then transfers to a 4 year school, and will have lists of classes that will transfer over. For example, you should take the chemistry class intended for students who plan to transfer to an engineering program, not "Chemistry for Food Sciences" or something of that sort. Similarly if a community college offered a circuits or electronics class, I would check that it is intended for students who want to be engineers, not, say, electronics technicians or electricians, as those might not transfer to a 4 year school.

Last edited:
sweetpotato said:
Usually community college classes like calculus, physics, and chemistry transfer to 4 year schools. For more "engineering" type classes, like say if a community college offered a Circuits class, I would double-check that it transfers to a 4 year college. Many community colleges have programs where a student studies there for 2 years then transfers to a 4 year school, and will have lists of classes that will transfer over. For example, you should take the chemistry class intended for students who plan to transfer to an engineering program, not "Chemistry for Food Sciences" or something of that sort. Similarly if a community college offered a circuits or electronics class, I would check that it is intended for students who want to be engineers, not, say, electronics technicians or electricians, as those might not transfer to a 4 year school.

Got it, yea I'm looking at different community colleges in my area right now actually and I found a couple that have transferable physics and calculus classes. I verified this on assist.org
I even found this at Los Angeles City College, they offer a set of classes specifically for students planning on majoring on Electrical and Computer Eng:
http://www.lacitycollege.edu/academic/departments/physics/fc_eece.html

Ok well I think I can take it from here thanks a lot again, its good to know I have options

I am aware of a few state universities that offer accredited online engineering degree or degree completion programs. The degree completion programs assume you have completed your Associates (thus, have taken all your undergraduate introductory lab courses) and allow you to finish the remainder of your courses online. Some have the entire program online, except for on-campus required labs.

See for instance:
http://www.bemidjistate.edu/academics/departments/technological_studies/undergraduate/applied_engineering/delivery_options/, MN "2 + 2" program in applied engineering - if you have completed a two-year degree and are working, you can finish your degree in Applied engineering online.

Univ of North Dakota 6-yr ABET accredited programs in Chem En, EE, Mech E, and Civil E

http://bamabydistance.ua.edu//degrees/bs-in-mechanical-engineering-blended/ BSME online program allows courses to be transferred in from other two and four-year courses, with the ability to complete the degree online, with only three courses that have an on-campus lab requirement

I am planning to attend the University of North Dakota starting in Spring of next year. Does anyone have experience with this university and its curriculum?

I understand that there are lab requirements that must be met in person on campus, but what is the overall education like?

Related to Electrical Engineering Online Degree

What is an electrical engineering online degree?

An electrical engineering online degree is a program that allows students to earn a degree in electrical engineering through online coursework. This means that students can complete their classes and assignments remotely, without physically attending a traditional campus.

What are the advantages of earning an electrical engineering online degree?

There are several advantages to earning an electrical engineering online degree. These include flexibility in scheduling, the ability to study from anywhere, cost savings from not having to commute to a physical campus, and the opportunity to continue working or fulfilling other responsibilities while pursuing a degree.

Can I get the same quality education with an online electrical engineering degree as I would with a traditional degree?

Yes, with an accredited online program, you can receive the same quality education as a traditional campus program. Online courses often have the same curriculum and are taught by the same professors as on-campus classes. Additionally, many online programs have resources and support systems in place to ensure students receive a high-quality education.

What are the requirements for admission into an electrical engineering online degree program?

The specific requirements may vary by program, but generally, applicants should have a high school diploma or equivalent, submit transcripts, and meet any minimum GPA or test score requirements. Some programs may also require letters of recommendation, a personal statement, or relevant work experience.

What career opportunities are available with an electrical engineering online degree?

With an electrical engineering online degree, you can pursue a variety of career paths in industries such as energy, telecommunications, manufacturing, and aerospace. Some common job titles include electrical engineer, systems engineer, electronics engineer, and research and development engineer.