Electrical and Computer Engineering or Mechanical?

In summary, the conversation was about someone deciding between an Electrical or Mechanical Engineering major and seeking work experience insights from others. The following details were requested: the company they work for, job schedule flexibility, most interesting part of the job, frequency of working on different projects, degree held, outlook on the job market for EE/ME, and the opinion on post-grad for engineering. The conversation also included a request for advice on things to do during college to better prepare for a career in engineering. However, this type of interview-style thread is not allowed for privacy and anti-phishing reasons.
makino.sh
I am deciding between an Electrical or Mechanical Engineering major, but can anyone share their work experience as an EE or ME engineer? Also, if you are willing, can you share some details such as:

1) What company you are working for
2) How flexible is your job schedule
3) What is the most interesting part of your job
4) How often you get to work on different projects
5) What degree you hold (BS,MS,PhD)
6) What your outlook is on the job market for EE/ME
7) Finally, your opinion on post-grad for engineering (would it be recommended for advancement in your career)

Also, if you have any advice as to what kind of things I should do during my college career in order to better help me later on, it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, for privacy and anti-phishing reasons, we do not allowe interview-type threads at the PF anymore.

Related to Electrical and Computer Engineering or Mechanical?

1. What is the difference between electrical and computer engineering?

Electrical engineering focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while computer engineering involves the design and development of computer systems and their hardware and software components.

2. What career opportunities are available in mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering offers a wide range of career opportunities, including design and development of mechanical systems, manufacturing, robotics, automotive and aerospace industries, energy and power generation, and many more.

3. Can you work in both electrical and computer engineering with the same degree?

Yes, many universities offer joint programs in electrical and computer engineering, allowing students to gain knowledge and skills in both fields and pursue careers in either or both areas.

4. Is a graduate degree necessary for a career in electrical or computer engineering?

While a bachelor's degree can lead to entry-level positions, a graduate degree, such as a Master's or Ph.D., is often required for advanced roles and research positions in electrical and computer engineering.

5. What skills are important for a career in mechanical engineering?

Some important skills for a career in mechanical engineering include critical thinking, problem-solving, communication, attention to detail, technical knowledge, and the ability to use design and analysis software.