Electric potential reference points confusion

In summary, the potential of a solid sphere is determined by the volumes inside and at the surface of the sphere.
Shinobii
Hi gang, I am hoping you can clear something up for me. When evaluating the potential of a solid sphere, I find myself confused about the volumes used such that,

[tex] \phi = Q \int_{\infty}^R \frac{1}{V_1} r^2 \sin(\theta) \, dr \, d\theta \, d\phi + Q \int_R^r \frac{1}{V_2} r^2 \sin(\theta) \, dr \, d\theta \, d\phi. [/tex]

where [itex] V_1 = 4 \pi r^3/3 [/itex] and [itex] V_2 = 4 \pi R^3/3 [/itex].

Why is [itex] V_1 [/itex] the volume inside and [itex] V_2 [/itex] the volume at r = R?

The first volume I understand since we are coming from infinity to the surface of the sphere. But when evaluating the second integral with the second volume, why is it only at r=R.

My current logic is that the volume depends on the initial point of integration (which would be consistent with this problem), but surely this cannot be always true?

I hope someone can shed some light on this matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shinobii said:
Hi gang, I am hoping you can clear something up for me. When evaluating the potential of a solid sphere, I find myself confused about the volumes used such that,

[tex] \phi = Q \int_{\infty}^R \frac{1}{V_1} r^2 \sin(\theta) \, dr \, d\theta \, d\phi + Q \int_R^r \frac{1}{V_2} r^2 \sin(\theta) \, dr \, d\theta \, d\phi. [/tex]

where [itex] V_1 = 4 \pi r^3/3 [/itex] and [itex] V_2 = 4 \pi R^3/3 [/itex].

Why is [itex] V_1 [/itex] the volume inside and [itex] V_2 [/itex] the volume at r = R?

The first volume I understand since we are coming from infinity to the surface of the sphere. But when evaluating the second integral with the second volume, why is it only at r=R.

My current logic is that the volume depends on the initial point of integration (which would be consistent with this problem), but surely this cannot be always true?

I hope someone can shed some light on this matter.

I don't think I've seen whatever formula you're using, but I think you're attempting to find the potential inside the sphere. You start from zero since that's you're reference point and integrate up to the surface of the sphere. Then you add another integral since the term you're integrating is different inside the sphere. This runs from the surface to whatever point you want to find the potential at, r.

Is your question why you go to r and not 0? That's because that would give you the potential at the center. r gives you the ability to plug in any distance from the center inside the sphere and find the potential.

Thanks

Yes, you are right about the potential inside a solid sphere; sorry for not being more clear. You answered my question perfectly! I suppose that is also the reason that [itex] V_1 [/itex] has r in the denominator, since we are coming in from infinity.

Thanks a bunch.

Related to Electric potential reference points confusion

1. What is an electric potential reference point?

An electric potential reference point is a point in space that is used as a reference to measure the electric potential at other points. It is typically chosen to be a point with zero potential, such as infinity or the surface of the Earth.

2. How is electric potential different from electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a point in space. Electric potential energy, on the other hand, is the potential energy that a charged object possesses due to its position in an electric field. In other words, electric potential is a property of the electric field itself, while electric potential energy is a property of a charged object within the field.

3. Can multiple reference points be used to measure electric potential?

Yes, multiple reference points can be used to measure electric potential. However, it is important to note that the difference in potential between two points is what is meaningful, not the absolute value of the potential at each point. Therefore, choosing multiple reference points does not affect the calculations of electric potential differences.

4. How does distance affect electric potential?

According to the inverse square law, electric potential decreases as distance from a point charge increases. This means that the further away an object is from a charged particle, the lower its electric potential will be. However, the potential also depends on the type of charge (positive or negative) and the strength of the electric field at that point.

5. Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. This usually occurs when the reference point is chosen to be at a higher potential than the point being measured. In this case, the electric potential at the point will be negative because it is lower than the reference point.