Electric Potential and Kinetic Energy

In summary, two identical +9.5e-6C point charges, initially 3.5 cm apart, are released from rest and have a mass of 1.0mg each. Using the equation D(KE) + D(PE) = 0, the final velocity of each charge can be found when they are very far apart. It is important to consider the total change in KE of both charges in the solution.
jakey

Homework Statement

Two identical +9.5e-6C point charges are initially 3.5 cm from each other. If they are released at the same instant from rest, how fast will each be moving when they are very far from each other? Assume they have identical masses of 1.0mg.

Homework Equations

im not sure with this though but i used D(KE) + D(PE) = 0 where D=delta

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the above equation to solve for v. i kinda considered the problem by taking 1 point charge. however, i can't get the right answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
jakey said:
i kinda considered the problem by taking 1 point charge.
What do you mean by that?

There are two point charges. Make sure you consider the total change in KE of both of them.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the relevant equations and principles in play. The key equations here are the electric potential energy equation (U = kQq/r) and the kinetic energy equation (KE = 1/2mv^2).

Based on the given information, we know that the two charges are initially 3.5 cm apart and have identical masses of 1.0mg. We also know that they have the same charge of +9.5e-6C.

To solve for the final velocity, we can use the conservation of energy principle, which states that the total energy of a system remains constant. This means that the initial potential energy (U) must equal the final kinetic energy (KE) when the charges are very far apart.

We can set up the following equation:

U initial = KE final

Using the electric potential energy equation, we can calculate the initial potential energy:

U initial = (k)(9.5e-6C)^2/0.035m = 0.0000125 J

Since the charges are initially at rest, the initial kinetic energy is zero.

0.0000125 J = 1/2(0.001kg)(v)^2

Solving for v, we get v = 0.5 m/s.

Therefore, when the charges are very far apart, they will be moving at a speed of 0.5 m/s. This is a simplified calculation, as it does not take into account factors such as the direction of motion and the influence of external forces. However, it provides a basic understanding of the relationship between electric potential and kinetic energy in this scenario.

Related to Electric Potential and Kinetic Energy

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of electrical potential energy that a charged particle has at a specific location in an electric field.

What is the formula for electric potential?

The formula for electric potential is V = U/q, where V is the electric potential, U is the electrical potential energy, and q is the charge of the particle.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. In the context of electric potential, it refers to the energy a charged particle has as it moves through an electric field.

How is electric potential related to kinetic energy?

Electric potential and kinetic energy are directly related. As a charged particle moves through an electric field, it gains kinetic energy due to the work done by the electric field, which is represented by changes in electric potential.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a specific location, while electric potential energy is the total amount of energy a charged particle has due to its position in an electric field.