Electric Force: Charged Particles Homework Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the position of a third particle placed between two particles of charge q and 3q, respectively, that are 90m apart. The equations F(E)=(k)(q1)(q2)/(r^2) and the quadratic formula are used to find the position, but the answers obtained do not seem to be correct. It is suggested that the negative sign in the forces equation may be unnecessary and that the direction of the forces should be considered when setting the magnitudes equal.
TheExibo

Homework Statement

Particles of charge q and 3q are placed 90m away from each other. A third particle is place in between them and the total electric force on this particle is zero. Determine the position of this particle.

Homework Equations

F(E)=(k)(q1)(q2)/(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

http://imgur.com/41Ngn8o
[/B]
After using the quadratic formula, I get stuck with two answers and I'm sure neigh ter of them are correct. Maybe the negative sign in the forces equation is unnecessary? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
TheExibo said:
After using the quadratic formula, I get stuck with two answers and I'm sure neigh ter of them are correct.
What answers did you get? Are both consistent with the constraints of the problem? Why do you think neither are correct?

TheExibo said:
Maybe the negative sign in the forces equation is unnecessary?
No, the negative sign was not correct, but you somehow managed to cancel it out. Looks to me like your final equation was correct. (Except that you left out a y in one of the terms; I assume that was just a typo.)

You know that the direction of the forces are opposite, so you just need to set the magnitudes equal.

Doc Al said:
What answers did you get? Are both consistent with the constraints of the problem? Why do you think neither are correct?No, the negative sign was not correct, but you somehow managed to cancel it out. Looks to me like your final equation was correct. (Except that you left out a y in one of the terms; I assume that was just a typo.)

You know that the direction of the forces are opposite, so you just need to set the magnitudes equal.

It seems the answers in the back weren't exactly correct. Thanks for checking my work!

Related to Electric Force: Charged Particles Homework Solution

1. What is electric force?

Electric force is a fundamental force of nature that exists between charged particles. It is the force responsible for the interactions between particles that have electric charge, such as protons and electrons.

2. How is electric force calculated?

Electric force can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What are charged particles?

Charged particles are particles that have an electric charge, either positive or negative. Examples of charged particles include protons and electrons, which have a positive and negative charge, respectively.

4. Can electric force be attractive as well as repulsive?

Yes, electric force can be both attractive and repulsive. Like charges will repel each other, while opposite charges will attract each other. The strength of the force depends on the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them.

5. How does electric force affect the movement of charged particles?

Electric force plays a crucial role in determining the movement of charged particles. It can accelerate or decelerate charged particles, causing them to change direction or speed. Electric force is also responsible for the flow of electric current in conductors.