Position of third charged particle

In summary: Thanks, @haruspex.In summary, two particles with charges +Q and +3Q are separated by a distance d. To find the distance from particle A where a third charged particle could be placed without experiencing a net electrostatic force, the forces from particles A and B must be equal. Using the equation F = kq1q2/r^2, the equation is set up and solved using the quadratic formula to get x = 0.366d. However, the given answer of x = 0.111d seems to be incorrect as it contradicts the given distance d. It is likely that there are errors in the problem as the ratio of the distances and the proportionality of force and distance may have been
Voidy

Homework Statement

Two particles are separated by a distance d, Particle A has charge +Q and Particle B has charge +3Q. At what distance from particle A along the line connecting particles A and B would you place a third charged particle such that no net electrostatic force acts on it ?

Homework Equations

F = kq1q2 / r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since there is no net electrostatic force on the third particle, the force from Particle A to C, and force from Particle B to C must be equal.

So I set up the equation
k(Q) / x^2 = k(3Q) / (d-x)^2

and solved for x using the quadratic formula.

I got

x = .366d

However, the answer is d/9, which is x = .111d

Can anyone help me ? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same answer as you. The value can't be a rational fraction of the separation distance.

Note that they don't define d in the statement of the problem, yet they state their answer in terms of d. That's a clue right there that there's something amiss. Perhaps a typo!

Mister T said:
Note that they don't define d in the statement of the problem, yet they state their answer in terms of d. That's a clue right there that there's something amiss. Perhaps a typo!
I also agree with .366, but d is given.

The author seems to have made two errors:
Taken distance as inversely proportional to square of force, instead of the other way around;
Taken the ratio of the two distances instead of the ratio of the shorter distance to the total distance.
Very sloppy.

haruspex said:
I also agree with .366, but d is given.

Oh, yeah, so it is. How'd I miss that?

Related to Position of third charged particle

1. What is the position of the third charged particle?

The position of the third charged particle refers to its location in space relative to the other two charged particles.

2. How is the position of the third charged particle calculated?

The position of the third charged particle can be calculated using the principles of Coulomb's Law, which takes into account the charges and distances of all three particles.

3. Does the position of the third charged particle affect the overall system?

Yes, the position of the third charged particle can have a significant impact on the overall system, as it can affect the forces and interactions between all three particles.

4. Can the position of the third charged particle change over time?

Yes, the position of the third charged particle can change over time due to the movement of the particles or the addition/removal of other particles in the system.

5. How does the position of the third charged particle relate to the overall stability of the system?

The position of the third charged particle is a factor in determining the stability of the system. If the particle is in a position where the forces are balanced, the system may be more stable compared to if the particle is in an unbalanced position.