Electric Force Calculation with Two Point Charges on Axis - Step by Step Guide

In summary: You have the distance, and you should have the charge. Plug and chug.Homework Statement Two positive point charges on the y-axis, each of which has a charge of 5.0 10-9 C, are located at y = +0.60 m and y = -0.60 m. Find the magnitude and direction of the resultant electric force acting on a charge of 7.6 10-9 C located at x = 0.80 m on the x-axis.Homework EquationsF=kq1q2/r^2The Attempt at a SolutionIn summary, a charge of 7.6 10-9 C located at x =
gotpink74
HELP I don't understand at all

Homework Statement

Two positive point charges on the y-axis, each of which has a charge of 5.0 10-9 C, are located at y = +0.60 m and y = -0.60 m. Find the magnitude and direction of the resultant electric force acting on a charge of 7.6 10-9 C located at x = 0.80 m on the x-axis.

Homework Equations

dont know

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tired to many ways with to many numbers.
My teacher hasn't taught these!

Physics news on Phys.org

gotpink74 said:

Homework Statement

Two positive point charges on the y-axis, each of which has a charge of 5.0 10-9 C, are located at y = +0.60 m and y = -0.60 m. Find the magnitude and direction of the resultant electric force acting on a charge of 7.6 10-9 C located at x = 0.80 m on the x-axis.

Homework Equations

don't know

I have tired to many ways with to many numbers.
My teacher hasn't taught these!
Some teachers are like that, however, a few of my students said the same thing about me.

Find the force on the 7.6 nC charge due to each of the other charges, individually.

so I do 7.6e-9*9e9/70^2

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

F=kq1q2/r^2

I don't even know where to start my teacher hasn't taught us this. I have tried to do a vector diagram but it didn't work.

gotpink74 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

F=kq1q2/r^2

I don't even know where to start my teacher hasn't taught us this. I have tried to do a vector diagram but it didn't work.

Can you show us your diagram? You will get two force vectors acting on the 3rd charge, and the net force is just the componen-wise sum of those forces...

I attached my picture down below from their I do not know where to go

Attachments

• 40.doc
    26.5 KB · Views: 166
gotpink74 said:
I attached my picture down below from their I do not know where to go

Good start. Now draw the two force vectors -- one each from the charges on the y-axis. You draw the force vector arrows at the test charge, pointed along the line between the charges. So for the force on the test charge from the top y-axis charge, you draw the force vector at the test charge along the extended line between those two charges. Whether you draw the force vector arrow pointing back up at the top charge, or pointing away down and right, depends on whether the force is attractive or repulsive. Opposite charges attract, right?

Then once you have the two force vector arrows at the right test charge, divide them up into their x & y components, add components, and then combine those two final components to get the total force vector.

what are X Y components?

is the x y (40,70)

is this how you find the magnitude

gotpink74 said:
is the x y (40,70)

is this how you find the magnitude

Actually I now notice that your diagram does not match the problem definition. The problem definition mentions y= +/- 0.60m and x = 0.80m. Where did your 40 and 70 numbers come from in your diagram?

Once you get the dimensions right on the figure, draw your two force vector arrows, and use basic trig to get the x and y components of each vector. Then add the components to get the components of the total resultant force.

is the hypotenuse 100

gotpink74 said:
so I do 7.6e-9*9e9/70^2
Where does the 70 come from?

What is Coulomb's Law for electric force?

Do I do √0.60^2+0.80^2

does anyone know how to do this

Im just trying to get the most help I can

gotpink74 said:
Do I do √0.60^2+0.80^2
Certainly this quantity is involved in this problem.
[itex]\displaystyle\sqrt{0.60^2+0.80^2}[/itex] is the distance (in meters) from the 7.6 nC charge to either of the 5 nC charges.​
What is the force on the 7.6 nC charge due to the charge at y = +0.60 m ?

Related to Electric Force Calculation with Two Point Charges on Axis - Step by Step Guide

1. How do I calculate the electric force between two point charges on an axis?

To calculate the electric force between two point charges on an axis, you will need to use Coulomb's Law. This law states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The equation for Coulomb's Law is F = (k * q1 * q2) / r^2, where F is the electric force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

2. What is the Coulomb's constant and how do I use it in the calculation?

The Coulomb's constant, denoted by k, is a proportionality constant that appears in Coulomb's Law. It is equal to 8.99 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2. To use it in the calculation, simply plug in its value into the equation for Coulomb's Law along with the charges and distance between the two particles.

3. Can I use this calculation for any type of point charges?

Yes, this calculation can be used for any type of point charges, whether they are positive or negative. You just need to make sure to use the correct signs in the equation. For example, if both charges are positive, the force will be repulsive, but if one charge is positive and the other is negative, the force will be attractive.

4. Is there a specific unit for the electric force?

Yes, the unit for electric force is Newtons (N). This is the same unit used for other types of forces, such as gravitational force. It is a unit of measurement for force and is derived from the SI unit for mass (kilograms), distance (meters), and time (seconds).

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the electric force between two point charges?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the electric force between two point charges, such as the presence of other charges in the surrounding area. These charges can create an electric field that can also impact the force between the two charges. Additionally, the medium in which the charges are located can also affect the force, as some materials can increase or decrease the electric force between charged particles.