Electric flux through a hemisphere due to these charge configurations

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electric flux through a hemisphere and determining which positions of a second charge will result in no change in the flux. The textbook states that if the electric field line from a charge cuts the surface once, there will be a net contribution to the electric flux. The participants then discuss the different points (A, B, C, and D) where the second charge could be placed and whether the electric field lines will contribute to the flux. It is mentioned that there may be a mistake in the original problem statement and that it may only be referring to the curved surface of the hemisphere. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to draw diagrams for the other points to better visualize the situation.
gracy

Homework Statement

The figure shows a charge q placed at the centre of a hemisphere. A second charge Q is placed at one of the positions A,B,C and D .in which position(s) of this second charge , the flux of the electric field through the hemisphere remains unchanged ?

J.png

2. Relevant Point:
My textbook says "if the vector E line from a charge cuts the surface once -there will be net contribution to the electric flux."

The Attempt at a Solution

In the following cases

G.png
H.png

Obviously from points A and E all the straight lines cut the surface twice as shown below.So if we happen to bring another charge Q at any of these two points the value of electric flux would not change because these will not contribute in it.But what about other points B,C & D?I am unable to figure out for these points.How to sketch the diagrams for these points?Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:
My textbook says "if the vector E line from a charge cuts the surface once -there will be net contribution to the electric flux."
are you sure it says that? Seems exactly wrong to me. If the line passes through the surface an even number of times then there should be no net contribution, surely?

haruspex said:
surely?
Yes

haruspex said:
If the line passes through the surface an even number of times then there should be no net contribution
my book mentions about the case when the line touches the surface twice.

gracy said:
my book mentions about the case when the line touches the surface twice.
Touches or passes through? If it touches without passing through, any number of times, that makes no contribution. Each pair of times it passes through there's no net contribution (two passes in opposite directions cancel), so any even number of passes also makes no net contribution. But for the present problem, it is just the two passes case that matters.

neither touch nor pass through, Actually the word "cut"is used.

gracy said:
neither touch nor pass through, Actually the word "cut"is used.
Cut is the same as pass through.

haruspex said:
Cut is the same as pass through.
So,what's next?

post #2 is still a problem?

gracy said:
post #2 is still a problem?
Maybe. Please clarify what the book says about each case (cutting once, twice).

haruspex said:
Please clarify what the book says about each case (cutting once, twice).
If the electric line from a charge Q cuts the surface once-it will make net contribution to the electric flux.
And then it has been written That electric field lines emerging straight from charge Q WHEN it is kept at points at points A and E cut the hemisphere twice hence do not contribute in net electric flux.

gracy said:
If the electric line from a charge Q cuts the surface once-it will make net contribution to the electric flux.
And then it has been written That electric field lines emerging straight from charge Q WHEN it is kept at points at points A and E cut the hemisphere twice hence do not contribute in net electric flux.
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.
?

post #2 is no longer a problem?

Gracy, please could you edit your first post in this thread and make corrections to its problem statement.

There may be some confusion in the use here of "E" to simultaneously denote the general electric field vector and also a reference point.

Your hemisphere has a curved upper surface and a flat lower surface. There is no way that field lines from any external charge can enter the hemisphere without also exiting through a surface, therefore these contribute no net flux. Only the enclosed charges can contribute flux.

EDIT. Perhaps your textbook wants you to consider only the curved surface? If you look at it that way, where there exists only the curved surface "shell", then the question makes more sense.

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
Gracy, please could you edit your first post in this thread and make corrections to its problem statement.
I have copied from my book without any error.

gracy said:
I have copied from my book without any error.
Then perhaps you could do everyone a favour and correct the textbook's blunder? :wink:

Likes gracy
Now,how to edit?I can't see any edit option

gracy said:
Now,how to edit?I can't see any edit option
The editing option expires after an hour or two, so perhaps you have just missed it. :cry:

Besides crying,What else can I do ?

gracy said:
Besides crying,What else can I do ?
You'll have to ignore their mistake, and refocus on the problem you were asking about.

So from point B, draw lots of lines radiating outwards in all directions. Those that completely miss the hemispherical shell obviously contribute nothing to the flux through it. But what observations can you make about those field lines that don't completely miss the shell?

P.S. Your textbook is correct.

NascentOxygen said:
P.S. Your textbook is correct.
NascentOxygen said:
You'll have to ignore the mistake
Then whose mistake are we talking about?

gracy said:
Then whose mistake are we talking about?
There is no mistake now. There was a typing blunder in your first post, but it has now been fixed.

But I don't see word "curve"in my problem statement yet.

gracy said:
But I don't see word "curve"in my problem statement yet.
If you wish to improve on the textbook's clumsy problem statement, then by all means please do! Write how you think it should be in your next post and if it looks good I'll copy it to your first post.

Are you any closer to being able to answer their question, now?

gracy said:
But what about other points B,C & D?I am unable to figure out for these points.How to sketch the diagrams for these points?
I have drawn for Points A and E,I want help to draw the diagrams for other points B,C &D

gracy said:
I have drawn for Points A and E,I want help to draw the diagrams for other points B,C &D
See advice in post #21

NascentOxygen said:
EDIT. Perhaps your textbook wants you to consider only the curved surface? If you look at it that way, where there exists only the curved surface "shell", then the question makes more sense.

I suspect that's the intended interpretation of "hemisphere" here. Too bad they didn't make that clear in the problem statement.

Homework Statement

The figure shows a charge q placed at the centre of a hemisphere. A second charge Q is placed at one of the positions A,B,C and D .in which position(s) of this second charge , the flux of the electric field through the hemispherical curved surface remains unchanged ?
j-png.88816.png

2. Relevant Point:

The Attempt at a Solution

In the following cases
71883-b8034fcf765818a025ff0eb4dfd9e80f.jpg
71884-7d0fb8bab1a0f522f82de21aa2a7b43a.jpg

Obviously from points A and E all the straight lines cut the surface twice as shown below.So if we happen to bring another charge Q at any of these two points the value of electric flux would not change because these will not contribute in it.But what about other points B,C & D?I am unable to figure out for these points.How to sketch the diagrams for these points?Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Can anyone please explain me how adding a term "curved"makes problem comprehensible .

gracy said:
Can anyone please explain me how adding a term "curved"makes problem comprehensible .
The point of adding that was to make it clear that it is not a closed hemisphere, i.e. the surface does not include a flat base.
Btw, I owe you an apology for confusing you. I consistently misread the text you quoted as saying that if it cuts the surface once there is NO net charge. Sorry for the noise.

Likes gracy
When I draw for point B ,The line emerging from it also cuts the surface twice
K.png

gracy said:
When I draw for point B ,The line emerging from it also cuts the surface twice
View attachment 88869
It is not possible to deduce from that drawing whether it cuts once or twice.
I interpret the diagram as meaning that the five points lie in a vertical plane bisecting the hemisphere. Consider looking at the hemisphere from point B. Some lines from there might cut the hemisphere twice, but if there are any lines that cut it only once then there will be net flux.

To cut means to pass through ,how to count how many times it (surface)gets cut?

gracy said:
To cut means to pass through ,how to count how many times it (surface)gets cut?
Imagine the hemisphere as made of tinted glass. If you were to look from point B, what would it look like? Are there parts where you would only be looking through one glass surface?