Electric Fields: Sodium Ions pumped

In summary, the cells of the body actively pump positive sodium ions from inside the cell to outside. This process requires energy, and it is estimated that as much as 20% of the energy we consume in a resting state is used in this sodium pumping. If the thickness of the membrane were doubled, it would require more work to pump out one sodium ion.
Madison029

Homework Statement

Living cells actively “pump” positive sodium ions (Na+) from inside the cell to outside
the cell. It’s called pumping because it requires work to move the ions from the
negatively charged inner surface of the cell membrane to the positively charged outer
surface. It is estimated that as much as 20% of the energy we consume in a resting state
is used in this sodium pumping. The potential difference across the membrane is 0.070V,
and the membrane is 0.10μm thick.
a.) Which is at higher potential, the inside or outside of the membrane?
b.) How much work has to be done to move one sodium ion from inside the
membrane to outside?
c.) If the thickness of the membrane were doubled, how much work would it require
to pump out one sodium ion?
d.) Assuming the E field is constant in the membrane, what is the magnitude and
direction of the E field between the inside and outside of the membrane?

Homework Equations

None Given

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted this but I am having trouble starting out correctly. Like which is the proper equation to use...my general understanding is not jump starting this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all they give you the answer to a) don't they?
So what is that?

Second of all if you know the voltage change and you know the charge don't you know the work required to affect the ion transfer?

Yea I now know A, which is outside. And the equation I am using is the work function W=qEd...assuming q is the charge of the ion,1. then E=V/d...plugging all that in gets me back to the original voltage of .070V.

More to the point, don't you think, work is q*ΔV, since work is over the distance?

Related to Electric Fields: Sodium Ions pumped

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electrically charged particle will experience a force. This force can either attract or repel other electrically charged particles.

2. How are sodium ions pumped in an electric field?

Sodium ions are pumped in an electric field through the use of ion pumps. These pumps use energy to move sodium ions against their concentration gradient, creating a higher concentration of sodium ions on one side of the cell membrane.

3. What is the importance of sodium ions being pumped?

The pumping of sodium ions is crucial for many biological processes, including nerve and muscle function. It helps maintain the proper balance of ions inside and outside of cells, which is necessary for the proper functioning of the nervous system.

4. How does the movement of sodium ions in an electric field affect the overall charge of a cell?

The movement of sodium ions in an electric field can either increase or decrease the overall charge of a cell, depending on the direction of ion flow. For example, if sodium ions are pumped out of a cell, the cell will become more negatively charged.

5. Can electric fields cause harm to living organisms?

Depending on the strength and duration of exposure, electric fields can potentially cause harm to living organisms. High levels of exposure can disrupt nerve and muscle function, while prolonged exposure to low levels of electric fields may lead to cellular damage. However, the effects of electric fields on living organisms are still being studied and debated.