Magnitude of the work done by electric field.

In summary, the difference in potential between the outer and inner surfaces of a cell membrane is about 72 mV. When a singly ionized potassium ion moves through a channel in the membrane, the magnitude of the work done by the electric field is 1.15e-19. There was a mistake in the calculation due to using the wrong exponent.
jlmccart03

Homework Statement

The membrane around a cell normally has layers of charge that create a potential difference between its outer and inner surfaces. This difference is about 72 mV .

When a singly ionized potassium ion moves through a channel in the membrane passing from the outside to the inside, what is the magnitude of the work done by the electric field of the membrane?

upload_2017-2-14_18-16-7.png

Homework Equations

W = F*d
W = V*U

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that the charge of a K ion is +1 so it is simply 1.6e-19 and converting 72 mV to 0.072 V I can then just multiply both to get the change in work correct? I don't get why that is wrong then.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a multiplication error.
Quick check: If you multiply 1.6*10-19 by 0.072, the result should be smaller than 10-19.

mfb said:
Just a multiplication error.
Quick check: If you multiply 1.6*10-19 by 0.072, the result should be smaller than 10-19.
Yeah I keep getting 1.15e-19. Isn't that correct, I can't seem to get a different answer on my calculator. Nevermind I got the answer. I was using -18 instead of -19.

Related to Magnitude of the work done by electric field.

1. What is the definition of magnitude of the work done by electric field?

The magnitude of the work done by electric field is a measure of the amount of energy transferred to a charged particle by an electric field as it moves through a distance. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in joules (J).

2. How is the magnitude of the work done by electric field calculated?

The magnitude of the work done by electric field is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field (E) by the magnitude of the displacement (d) of the charged particle in the direction of the electric field. This can be represented by the equation W = E * d.

3. What is the significance of the magnitude of the work done by electric field?

The magnitude of the work done by electric field is significant because it represents the amount of energy transferred to a charged particle by the electric field. This energy can be used to perform work, such as moving objects or powering devices.

4. How does the direction of the electric field affect the magnitude of the work done?

The direction of the electric field affects the magnitude of the work done by either increasing or decreasing it. If the electric field is in the same direction as the displacement of the charged particle, the work done will be positive. If the electric field is in the opposite direction, the work done will be negative.

5. How is the magnitude of the work done by electric field related to the potential difference?

The magnitude of the work done by electric field is directly related to the potential difference between two points. The greater the potential difference, the greater the work done by the electric field on a charged particle moving between those points. This relationship is described by the equation W = q * ΔV, where q is the charge of the particle and ΔV is the potential difference.