Electric fields, particles and deflection

In summary, in order for a particle to move un-deflected with uniform motion through an electric field, it must have an extremely low charge or be neutral. This is the only circumstance that would allow the particle to remain undeflected, even in a strong electric field.
Mr.somebody

Homework Statement

Explain the circumstances that enable a particle to move un-deflected with uniform motion through an electric field if it is given an initial velocity perpendicular to the electric field. Assume the electric field is the only field present.[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If the electric field was extremely weak and the particle had an extremely low charge.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you think of a property that the particle might have (or not have) that would allow it to move undeflected (even in a strong electric field)?

[EDIT: I think you're pretty close when you said "the particle had an extremely low charge". Why not go all the way? :woot:]

Last edited:
I don't know how I missed that THANKS! it should be neutral right?

Mr.somebody said:
... it should be neutral right?
Yes, that would be one reason the particle doesn't deflect.

Now, the original statement of the problem asks for "circumstances". But I can't think of anything else. (I don't think mental telepathy telekinesis would be an acceptable answer.)

Attachments

• telekinesis.png
    telekinesis.png
    26 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

Related to Electric fields, particles and deflection

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where electrically charged particles experience a force. It is created by electrically charged objects and can influence the motion of other charged particles within its range.

2. How are electric fields measured?

Electric fields are measured using a device called an electric field meter, which detects the strength and direction of the electric field. The unit of measurement for electric fields is volts per meter (V/m).

3. What is the relationship between electric fields and charged particles?

Electrically charged particles, such as electrons and protons, are affected by electric fields. They will experience a force when placed in an electric field, and the direction of the force depends on the charge of the particle and the direction of the electric field.

4. How can electric fields be used to deflect charged particles?

Charged particles can be deflected by applying an electric field perpendicular to their direction of motion. This is the principle behind devices such as cathode ray tubes, where an electric field is used to control the movement of electrons.

5. What are some real-world applications of electric fields and particle deflection?

Electric fields and particle deflection have many practical applications, such as in particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and television screens. They are also used in medical imaging techniques, such as X-rays and MRI machines. In addition, electric fields are used in everyday technologies like touchscreens and air purifiers.