Electric field within a solid sphere

In summary, the electric field within the solid sphere is radial, and decreases as you move away from the center.
Gee Wiz

Homework Statement

A nonconducting, solid sphere of radius a is placed at the center of a spherical conducting shell of inner radius b (> a) and outer radius c, as shown in the figure below. A charge +Q is distributed uniformly through the sphere, which thus carries a charge density ρ (C/m3). The outer shell carries a total charge -3Q.

Find the electric field E(r) within the solid sphere, i.e., at a radius r < a

Homework Equations

∫EdA=Qenclosed/Eo

The Attempt at a Solution

E*4∏r^2=(ρ*(4/3)*∏*a^3)/Eo

I thought I knew what i was doing, but now I'm not quite so sure. I know what i have above is not the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about how much charge you are enclosing by your Gaussian surface.

well, i think that i am enclosing something less than Q. Since Q is uniform over the entire sphere. If i am taking only a portion of that sphere, then i think it should be less.

yep. well, technically, the charge density is uniform over the entire sphere. You know that a Gaussian sphere of radius a would enclose Q, so how much charge does a Gaussian sphere of radius r(<a) enclose?

A ratio of what a enclosed. So like, Qr/a?

It's a ratio, but not that ratio. Suggestion: first find the charge density ρ in terms of Q and a.

That's what i tried to start to do with :E*4∏r^2=(ρ*(4/3)*∏*a^3)/Eo

You have a sphere of radius a and total charge Q. Forget everything else about the problem for the moment. What is the charge density ρ?

Once you have that, what is the charge on a sphere with the same charge density, but with radius r?

charge density p is charge/volume. That's kinda what i was trying to do. Was i just making it more complicated than i needed to. Should i just find p and then multiply it by the new volume that i am trying to find?

yep. that will give you the charge enclosed by your Gaussian surface (since charge density is constant inside the sphere)

ohhh okay. Well thank you all very much

Related to Electric field within a solid sphere

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field within a solid sphere?

The formula for calculating the electric field within a solid sphere is E = kQr/R^3, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, r is the distance from the center of the sphere, and R is the radius of the sphere.

2. How does the electric field within a solid sphere vary with distance from the center?

The electric field within a solid sphere varies inversely with the square of the distance from the center. This means that as the distance from the center increases, the electric field decreases.

3. Can the electric field within a solid sphere be negative?

No, the electric field within a solid sphere cannot be negative. This is because the electric field always points away from positive charges and towards negative charges. Since a solid sphere does not have any negative charges, the electric field within it will always be positive.

4. How does the electric field within a solid sphere depend on the charge of the sphere?

The electric field within a solid sphere is directly proportional to the charge of the sphere. This means that as the charge of the sphere increases, the electric field within it will also increase.

5. Does the electric field within a solid sphere depend on the material it is made of?

Yes, the electric field within a solid sphere can depend on the material it is made of. This is because different materials have different permittivity values, which can affect the electric field. However, for a simple solid sphere with a uniform charge distribution, the material will not have a significant impact on the electric field within it.