Electric field of two point charges

In summary: Is the electric field always pointing in the same direction? or does the direction change depending on the angle between the charges?I think it would depend on the angle between the charges. If the charges were perfectly aligned then the electric field would point in the same direction, but if the angle were off then the electric field might point in a different direction.
black_hole

Homework Statement

Two point charges Q and -Q are separated by a distance d. The point p forms an equilateral triangle with the two charges of side length d. Find the magnitude and direction of the electric field at point p. What is the electric potential at P? Then, a charge of 2Q is placed at P. What is the potential energy of this charge?

Homework Equations

F = qE
V = ∫E dx
U = qV

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking the field at P would be zero bc the negative and positive charges would have a cancelling effect but that doesn't seem right when I think of a field picture. But once I figure out that I think I can figure out the potential and the potential energy of 2Q. To figure out the potential at point p would I integrate with respect to r or x?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you're kind of right. Draw out the picture and you'll find they cancel in one direction, but not completely in all directions, as you suggested.

ok, so do they cancel out in the x direction, but not in the y is that right? In that case is it Ey = kQ/(d/2)^2 ? and on that notes, should I also integrate along the y direction to find the potential at p?

I think you may have gotten the E-field convention mixed up. Positive charges produce vectors away from it, and negative charges produce vectors towards. No integration needed, and make sure you've done your trig right. You're getting there.

Now I'm confused...If I were to draw it out, the electric field would be going from the positive charge down to the negative charge in a sense right? What does that mean for point p?

So your point p is positive "test charge." The electric field is basically how forces would look if you placed a grid of "test charges" all over the place. So say Q is on the left and -Q is on the right. Q gives in E-field on p that's up and to the right, while -Q gives an E-field down and to the left. Superposition means that you simply add the two together, so you'd have an E-field solely to the right.

Hah, actually, I just noticed, I never asked for your original so you could have been right if you were thinking of having the charges aligned vertically and I just assumed we were placing the charges horizontally.

Well, but the two charges Q and point p form an equilateral configuration. I know electric fields are superposable but in this configuration, I'm worried about direction

Related to Electric field of two point charges

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field of two point charges?

The formula for calculating the electric field of two point charges is given by E = k(Q1Q2/r^2), where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges, and r is the distance between the two charges.

2. How does the distance between two point charges affect the electric field?

The electric field is directly proportional to the distance between two point charges. This means that the electric field decreases as the distance between the two charges increases.

3. Can the electric field of two point charges be negative?

Yes, the electric field of two point charges can be negative. This occurs when the two charges have opposite signs (one positive and one negative). In this case, the electric field points towards the negative charge.

4. What is the direction of the electric field between two point charges?

The direction of the electric field between two point charges is determined by the charges themselves. If the two charges are of the same sign, the electric field points away from both charges. If the two charges are of opposite signs, the electric field points towards the negative charge.

5. How does the magnitude of the two charges affect the electric field between them?

The magnitude of the two charges has a direct impact on the electric field between them. The greater the magnitude of the charges, the stronger the electric field will be. This means that if the charges are closer together, the electric field will be stronger, and if they are further apart, the electric field will be weaker.