Electric Field magnitude and distance

In summary, the total charge of the radon nucleus is 1.38*10^(-17) C and the magnitude of its electric field at a distance of 6.0*10^(-10) m from the nucleus is 2.07*10^(12) N/C. The correct answer was obtained using the equation E=kq/r^2, with a value of k=8.99*10^9.
Jm4872

Homework Statement

The first question that was asked was; What is the total charge of the radon nucleus? (The neutral radon atom has 86 electrons.)
the answer to that is 1.38*10^(-17) C
the second question asked is;
What is the magnitude of its electric field at a distance of 6.0 x10-(10) m from the nucleus?

Homework Equations

E=kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the equation E=kq/r^2
E=(8.99*10^9)*(1.38*10^(-17)/((6.0*10^(-10)^2))=2.07*10^(12) N/C
but this answer isn't right? I'm not sure why its not right as this is the only method I know how to do in order to solve this problem.
If someone could please show me what it is I'm doing wrong I'd really appreciate it :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method looks okay, but your math could use another look.

Got the right answer!
I'm not sure what I did wrong with my math there but it worked out after!
Thanks for pointing that out !

Related to Electric Field magnitude and distance

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged particle or object. It describes the direction and strength of the force that a charged particle would experience if placed in that field.

2. How is the magnitude of an electric field measured?

The magnitude of an electric field is typically measured in volts per meter (V/m). This unit describes the amount of electric force per unit charge at a specific point in the field.

3. How does distance affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is inversely proportional to the distance from the source of the field. This means that as distance increases, the strength of the electric field decreases.

4. What is the relationship between electric field magnitude and the amount of charge?

The magnitude of an electric field is directly proportional to the amount of charge. This means that as the amount of charge increases, the strength of the electric field also increases.

5. Can the direction of an electric field change?

Yes, the direction of an electric field can change depending on the location and orientation of the charged particles or objects creating the field. Electric fields always point away from positive charges and towards negative charges.