Electric Field in a Square Problem

In summary: For the magnitude of the electric field again, I used E = kq/r^2. Combining the electric field vectors due to A, B, and D, I get:E = 4kq/(a^2)
Kirasagi

Homework Statement

I think it would be better if I put the picture.

nTzgs.png

Additional questions:
Find the direction of the electric field.
Find the magnitude of electric field due at C due to charges A, B, and D.

Oq2YY.png

Homework Equations

Pythagorean Theorem.
E = kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first problem, I drew vector diagrams based on the charges at the center of the square. I ended up having 4 arrows:
O -> A (electron attraction)
O -> D (electron attraction)
O -> A (proton repulsion of charge C)
O -> D (proton repulsion of charge D)
So basically I had 2 visual arrows of pointing NW and SW from the origin. This makes the direction of the electric field to be West. Thats basically the part I only got.
For the magnitude of the electric field I used E = kq/r^2 . I know r = [√(2)/2]a. Now I got lost on what to really do (I tried a bunch of stuff but it didn't really make sense to me). The final answer for the first question is 4√2 kq/a^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to sum vectors? eg Work out the x and y component of each vector. Sum all the x components and sum all the y components etc

To further simplify the equations it might help to remember that:

This is a square so 45 degree angles are involved.
cos(45)=sin(45)=0.5*SQRT(2)
Pythagorous involves squares and square roots

sorry if you know all that.

Thanks for the reply!

All along I was doing my math wrong on adding the electric field vectors.

As r = (sqrt2/2)a

e = kq/(r^2)
e = kq/(a^2/2)
e = 2kq/(a^2) for each vector on one side.

Since there's 2 vectors on each side then it equals to 4kq/(a^2)

Combining the vectors using parallelogram rule I get 4sqrt2 kq/(a^2)

For the third question (Find the magnitude of electric field due at C due to charges A, B, and D):
Do I just solve this problem similar to the 1st question? (draw vectors based on the center O). I drew the vectors due to C and here's what I came up with:

C -> A
C -> D
B -> down

Not sure if I'm starting this correctly. Do I just add the electric field vectors again based on the superposition rule? If so how would I do the vector pointing north from B (not sure what I would put for as r).

Last edited:

Related to Electric Field in a Square Problem

1. What is the Electric Field in a Square Problem?

The Electric Field in a Square Problem refers to a physics problem in which the electric field is calculated at different points within a square region. This problem is commonly used to demonstrate the principles of electric field and its behavior in a confined area.

2. How is the Electric Field calculated in a Square Problem?

To calculate the Electric Field in a Square Problem, the formula for electric field intensity is used. This formula takes into account the distance between the point in question and the source of the electric field, as well as the magnitude of the source's charge. The vector sum of all the electric fields at each point within the square is calculated to determine the overall electric field at that point.

3. What factors affect the Electric Field in a Square Problem?

The Electric Field in a Square Problem is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and distribution of the charges within the square, the distance between the charges, and the size and shape of the square region. The presence of other electric charges or objects nearby can also impact the electric field within the square.

4. How is the Electric Field represented in a Square Problem?

The Electric Field in a Square Problem is typically represented using vector arrows. The length and direction of these arrows indicate the strength and direction of the electric field at each point within the square. The density of the arrows also reflects the intensity of the electric field at that point.

5. What real-world applications does the Electric Field in a Square Problem have?

The Electric Field in a Square Problem has numerous real-world applications, including in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, the development of electromagnetic shielding, and the understanding of the behavior of electric fields in confined spaces such as capacitors and conductors. This problem is also relevant in fields such as telecommunications, computer engineering, and materials science.