Electric field due to semi-circular wire at a distance

I am not sure how to approach this. Could I turn this into a double integral and...In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the electric field at a point on the z-axis due to a semi-circular wire with a total charge Q evenly distributed in the x-y plane. The electric field is calculated using Coulomb's Law and a trigonometric projection. The direction of the electric field is determined by considering the symmetry of the system, and a diagram is suggested to aid in the calculation. The conversation also mentions a similar problem that has been solved in a previous thread.
Gijs

Homework Statement

A semi-circular wire containing a total charge Q which is uniformly distribute over the wire in the x-y plane. the semi-circle has a radius a and the origin is the center of the circle.

Now I want to calculate the electric field at a point located on at distance h on the z-axis. What is the magnitude of this electric field, and is this field only in the z direction?

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

dE=dQ/(4πε√h^2+a^2)
dEz=dE cosθ = dQ/(4πε√(h^2+a^2))(h/(√(h^2+a^2))
E=Qh/(4πε(h^2+a^2)^(3/2))
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

Will the total field on the z axis have only a z component?

Thanks! I guess not since it not all θ components will cancel out. This is what I’m confued about. Can you explain how I could solve this?

Gijs said:
Thanks! I guess not since it not all θ components will cancel out.
Right. The total field will have a component, E, that is perpendicular to the z axis .
This is what I’m confused about. Can you explain how I could solve this?
From symmetry, you should be able to see the direction of E. The problem did not state if the orientation of the x and y axes are given. If not, orient the axes to take advantage of the symmetry.

For an arbitrary element of charge dQ, you will need to figure out how to use trig to project out the relevant component of the field due to dQ. A good diagram will be helpful.

TSny said:
Right. The total field will have a component, E, that is perpendicular to the z axis .

From symmetry, you should be able to see the direction of E. The problem did not state if the orientation of the x and y axes are given. If not, orient the axes to take advantage of the symmetry.

For an arbitrary element of charge dQ, you will need to figure out how to use trig to project out the relevant component of the field due to dQ. A good diagram will be helpful.
So if z=0 then I get 2kQ/(a^2) but when the hight is h I get 2kQh/sqrt(a^2 + h^2) is this correct?

Gijs said:
So if z=0 then I get 2kQ/(a^2) but when the hight is h I get 2kQh/sqrt(a^2 + h^2) is this correct?
No.

For one thing, that answer has the wrong units.

What is the magnitude of the electric field at that point?

SammyS said:
No.

For one thing, that answer has the wrong units.

What is the magnitude of the electric field at that point?
I’m not sure what you mean? This is the magnitude I have calculated. Can you give me some directions how to get to the right anwser? And what should be the direction of the electric field in in point h in catesian coordinates?

Gijs said:
I’m not sure what you mean? This is the magnitude I have calculated. Can you give me some directions how to get to the right anwser? And what should be the direction of the electric field in in point h in catesian coordinates?
Your previous post has a number of errors.
Gijs said:
At z = 0, the z component of electric field is zero. The horizontal component is nearly what you have but it's ##\displaystyle \ \frac {2kQ} {\pi a^2} \ ##.

You also have some problems in your attempt at a solution in post #1.
Gijs said:

The Attempt at a Solution

dE=dQ/(4πε√h^2+a^2)[/B]
That's not quite right.
##\displaystyle dE=\frac{dQ}{4\pi\varepsilon_0 R^2}=\frac{dQ}{4\pi\varepsilon_0 (h^2+a^2)}##
dEz=dE cosθ = dQ/(4πε√(h^2+a^2))(h/(√(h^2+a^2))
Except for the part I highlighted in red, that may be correct, depending upon how you have defined θ.

As it turns out, I think the following expression is correct for the z component of electric field at z = h on the z axis .
E=Qh/(4πε(h^2+a^2)^(3/2))

Last edited:
SammyS said:
Your previous post has a number of errors.

At z = 0, the z component of electric field is zero. The horizontal component is nearly what you have but it's ##\displaystyle \ \frac {2kQ} {\pi a^2} \ ##.

You also have some problems in your attempt at a solution in post #1.
That's not quite right.
##\displaystyle dE=\frac{dQ}{4\pi\varepsilon_0 R^2}=\frac{dQ}{4\pi\varepsilon_0 (h^2+a^2})##
Except for the part I highlighted in red, that may be correct, depending upon how you have defined θ.

As it turns out, I think the following expression is correct for the z component of electric field at z = h on the z axis .
Thanks a lot for you help! However I am still confused about the direction of the electric field. So I added a drawing to clarify. I calculated the electric field in the z component but from the image is clear that this is not the only component. What geometry did I mis and how should I calculated te E field in point P? Thanks again!

Attachments

• C1C2DAB3-32CF-4F0F-9022-90E4F4EEC6E0.jpeg
    C1C2DAB3-32CF-4F0F-9022-90E4F4EEC6E0.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,077
Gijs said:
Thanks a lot for you help! However I am still confused about the direction of the electric field. So I added a drawing to clarify. I calculated the electric field in the z component but from the image is clear that this is not the only component. What geometry did I mis and how should I calculated te E field in point P? Thanks again!
It certainly does help to have a good clear image of a sketch of the situation. Here is the one you linked.
c1c2dab3-32cf-4f0f-9022-90e4f4eec6e0-jpeg.jpg

The expression you have for dE in your third line is in error. It should not have the square root. The third line should be:
##\displaystyle =\frac{dQ}{4\pi\varepsilon_0 (h^2+a^2)}\cdot\frac{h}{\sqrt{h^2+a^2}}##​

A similar problem is solved in the following thread. The choice of coordinates is different than what you have.
Electric field of a semi circle ring

The choice of coordinates is different than what you have.

Attachments

• c1c2dab3-32cf-4f0f-9022-90e4f4eec6e0-jpeg.jpg
    c1c2dab3-32cf-4f0f-9022-90e4f4eec6e0-jpeg.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 666
You are right! I have seen that topic however that is containing a full circle where the there is only a component in the z direction.
What I have so far is the following:

$$
\begin{align}
\vec{r}_{p}&=\vec{ha_{z}}\\
\vec{r}_{s}&=a\vec{a_{x}} cos\phi +a\vec{a_{y}} sin\phi\\
dE&=\frac{dQ(\vec{r}_{p}-\vec{r}_{s})}{4\pi \epsilon_{0}\left |\vec{r}_{p}-\vec{r}_{s} \right |^{3}}\\
dE&=\frac{dQ \, \vec{ha_{z}}-(a\vec{a_{x}}cos\phi +a\vec{a_{y}} sin\phi) } {4\pi \epsilon_{0}(a^{2}+h^{2} )^{3/2}}\\
dQ&=\rho _{L}ad\phi \\
E&=\int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{dQ \, \vec{ha_{z}}-(a\vec{a_{x}}cos\phi +a\vec{a_{y}} sin\phi) } {4\pi \epsilon_{0}(a^{2}+h^{2} )^{3/2}}d\phi\\
\end{align}$$

However I am not sure how I should integrate this in order to find the contribution in every direction?

Gijs said:
You are right! I have seen that topic however that is containing a full circle where the there is only a component in the z direction.
What I have so far is the following:

$$
\begin{align}
\vec{r}_{p}&=\vec{ha_{z}}\\
\vec{r}_{s}&=a\vec{a_{x}} cos\phi +a\vec{a_{y}} sin\phi\\
dE&=\frac{dQ(\vec{r}_{p}-\vec{r}_{s})}{4\pi \epsilon_{0}\left |\vec{r}_{p}-\vec{r}_{s} \right |^{3}}\\
dE&=\frac{dQ \, \vec{ha_{z}}-(a\vec{a_{x}}cos\phi +a\vec{a_{y}} sin\phi) } {4\pi \epsilon_{0}(a^{2}+h^{2} )^{3/2}}\\
dQ&=\rho _{L}ad\phi \\
E&=\int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{dQ \, \vec{ha_{z}}-(a\vec{a_{x}}cos\phi +a\vec{a_{y}} sin\phi) } {4\pi \epsilon_{0}(a^{2}+h^{2} )^{3/2}}d\phi\\
\end{align}$$

However I am not sure how I should integrate this in order to find the contribution in every direction?
(Actually that link IS for a semi-circle of uniform charge. )

I don't entirely understand your notation.

From what axis is angle ##\ \phi\ ## measured ?

What is meant by ##\ \vec{a_{x}},\,\vec{a_{y}},\,\vec{a_{z}}\ ## ?

Last edited:
SammyS said:
(Actually that link IS for a semi-circle of uniform charge. )

I don't entirely understand your notation.

From what axis is angle ##\ \phi\ ## measured ?

What is meant by ##\ \vec{a_{x}},\,\vec{a_{y}},\,\vec{a_{z}}\ ## ?
Thanks for pointing me to the other topic again. That solved my question and made it clear. Again thanks for your help!

Related to Electric field due to semi-circular wire at a distance

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical phenomenon that describes the force exerted by an electrically charged object on other charged objects placed within its vicinity. It is represented by a vector quantity that indicates the direction and strength of the force.

2. How is the electric field due to a semi-circular wire calculated?

The electric field due to a semi-circular wire at a distance can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the wire, and r is the distance from the wire to the point where the electric field is being measured.

3. What factors determine the strength of the electric field due to a semi-circular wire?

The strength of the electric field due to a semi-circular wire depends on the charge of the wire, the distance from the wire, and the angle at which the field is being measured. It also depends on the medium in which the wire and the other charged object are placed.

4. Can the electric field due to a semi-circular wire at a distance be negative?

Yes, the electric field due to a semi-circular wire can be negative. This indicates that the direction of the force is opposite to the direction of the field. It is possible if the charge of the wire and the charged object are of opposite signs.

5. How does the electric field due to a semi-circular wire change with distance?

The electric field due to a semi-circular wire decreases with distance. As the distance from the wire increases, the strength of the electric field decreases. This is because the electric field follows the inverse-square law, where the strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.