How to Calculate the Electric Field at the Origin from a Uniformly Charged Rod?

In summary: If the point charge is negative, then the electric field at the origin will be negative. If the point charge is positive, then the electric field at the origin will be positive.
J6204

Homework Statement

A line of charge with a uniform density of 34.2 nC/m lies along the line y = -14.9 cm, between the points with coordinates x = 0 and x = 42.8 cm. Calculate the electric field it creates at the origin, entering first the x component then the y component

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

E_x = 1/(4πε₀) ∫ λ dx * 1/ (Y² + x²) * x/((Y² + x²)^½

where Y is the vertical distance 14.9 cm.
λ dx is the charge element dq, 1/ (Y² + x²) is the " 1/r^2 " and x/((Y² + x²)^½ is the geometric factor for the x-component ("sin(α)" ).

Then the integral gives

E_x = λ/(8πε₀) ∫ du * 1/ u^(3/2)
= λ/(8πε₀) [-2/√u]
= λ/(4πε₀) (1/Y - 1/√(Y² + X²)) [where X = 42.8 cm] Along the same line of reasoning we have for the y-component

E_y = 1/(4πε₀) ∫ λ dx * 1/ (Y² + x²) * Y/((Y² + x²)^½
= Yλ/(4πε₀) ∫ dx /(Y² + x²)^(3/2)
= λ/(4πε₀) X/(Y√(Y² + X²)) When i substituted λ (34.2*10^-9 C/m), X ( 0.428 m ) and Y ( 0.149 m) and ε₀ ( 8.854 10^-12 F/m) to calculate Ex and Ey I got the following two numbers which were incorrect and I am not sure what I am doing wrong

Ex = 1385N/C
Ey = 1948N/C

Physics news on Phys.org
J6204 said:
Ex = 1385N/C
Ey = 1948N/C
Your approach looks good. I have not checked the numerical evaluation. But do you expect both components of E to be positive?

TSny said:
Your approach looks good. I have not checked the numerical evaluation. But do you expect both components of E to be positive?
I thought so, do the answers look correct besides one or two of them being negative? Did I need to factor in the negative sign on the y coordinate?

J6204 said:
I thought so, do the answers look correct besides one or two of them being negative?
Yes. To determine the signs of the components, choose an arbitrary point along the line of charge and treat the point as a positive point charge. Consider the direction of E at the origin produced by the point charge.

Related to How to Calculate the Electric Field at the Origin from a Uniformly Charged Rod?

1. What is the formula for the electric field of a long charged rod?

The electric field of a long charged rod is given by the formula E = (λ/2πε0r)cosθ, where λ is the linear charge density, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, r is the distance from the rod, and θ is the angle between the rod and the point where the electric field is being measured.

2. How does the electric field of a long charged rod vary with distance?

The electric field of a long charged rod decreases with distance according to an inverse relationship. This means that as the distance from the rod increases, the electric field decreases. It follows the inverse square law, meaning that the field strength decreases by a factor of 4 as the distance is doubled.

3. How does the direction of the electric field of a long charged rod change?

The direction of the electric field of a long charged rod depends on the angle θ between the rod and the point where the field is being measured. If θ is 90 degrees, the electric field will point directly away from the rod. As θ decreases, the direction of the electric field will tilt towards the rod, eventually becoming parallel to the rod when θ is 0 degrees.

4. Can the electric field of a long charged rod be negative?

Yes, the electric field of a long charged rod can be negative. This occurs when the linear charge density is negative, meaning that the rod has a net negative charge. The direction of the electric field will then be towards the rod, rather than away from it.

5. How does the electric field of a long charged rod compare to that of a point charge?

The electric field of a long charged rod and a point charge are similar in that they both follow the inverse square law and decrease with distance. However, the electric field of a long charged rod is non-uniform, meaning that it varies based on distance and angle, while the electric field of a point charge is uniform and the same in all directions.