Electric field between a needle and a plate

In summary, you ran 210,000 volts between two metal plates. You found that the electric field was proportional to the voltage and the field density was also proportional to the voltage.
Mniazi
http://i66.tinypic.com/2yts08m.jpg

I was doing an experiment in which i have a needle perpendicular to a metal plate. I run 210kV between them. I want to find out the electric field between the two, and I also want to know the electric al field density throught the metal plate? Pls help. I found a formula for the electrical field. it was $$E(r) = \frac{V*a}{r}*\frac{1}{1-a/b}$$
where V is the applied voltage, a is the radius of the pin point, b is the distance from the pin point to the grounded plate, and r is the radial distance from the pin point to the grounded plate?

The plate is a circular piece of metal, I want to find the density of the electrical field going through a smaller circular region right below the metal. will I need to put r as the radius of the area?

Physics news on Phys.org
needle_field.jpg

You sure about this expression ? It doesn't even have the right dimension !
Where does this formula apply ? Is it an approximation in a limited region ?
For the field underneath the grounded plate a very detailed calculation will be necessary.

Last edited:
No I am not sure about this equation. I got it on a website (http://www.afssociety.org/air-filtration/81-what-is-an-electret ) It says it is the electric field distribution from the pin to the plate. If detailed calculation is necessary then can you like guide me on it? I will perfomr the calculations and then update over here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, at least that settles the dimensionality:$$E(r) = \frac{V*a}{r^2}*\frac{1}{1-a/b}$$
and it looks like the electric field from a point charge ##\ \ \displaystyle q = {4\pi\epsilon_0 V_0 \over {1\over a} - {1\over b} }##

It is unfortunate that they don't clearly define ##r## but I suspect it is the radial distance to the center inside the tip (the center of the sphere with radius a). So surfaces with the same |E| would then be spherical shells and that should work reasonably well if ##b \gg a##. For the region between tip and plate. The further sideways, the worse. And not sensible upwards along the rod at all.

Another way to look at this configuration is to consider it as a point charge opposite a grounded plate, for which there is plenty info (see e.g. Errede 2007). You get a dipole field and the surface charge on the plate can easily be determined.

But you are looking for trouble: you want the field underneath a finite circular grounded disc. As Errede says on his page 14, you don't get a solution for the region where the image charge is located.

So all I can think of is a numerical approach. No experience. Perhaps https://www.integratedsoft.com/papers/techdocs/tech_1cx.pdf helps ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgive my typo in the equation i wrote.
Well I am not trying to find the field under the plate. I am actually studying effects of the electric field on a liquid dielectric on the surface of the plate. So I wanted to find the field in that area of dielectric on the plate. I think taking the pin as a point will simplify stuff, so ill go with that. Ill check out the links you gave as well.

Related to Electric field between a needle and a plate

What is the concept of electric field between a needle and a plate?

The concept of electric field between a needle and a plate is related to the movement of electric charges. When a needle is placed near a positively charged plate, the electric field causes the electrons in the needle to move towards the plate, resulting in a flow of current. This movement of charges creates an electric field between the needle and the plate.

How is the strength of the electric field between a needle and a plate determined?

The strength of the electric field between a needle and a plate is determined by the distance between the two objects and the magnitude of the charges on the objects. The closer the needle is to the plate and the higher the magnitude of the charges, the stronger the electric field will be.

What factors can affect the electric field between a needle and a plate?

The electric field between a needle and a plate can be affected by the material of the objects, the shape and size of the objects, and the presence of other nearby charged objects. Conductive materials will have a stronger electric field than insulating materials, and larger objects will have a stronger electric field than smaller objects.

Can the electric field between a needle and a plate be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field between a needle and a plate can be manipulated by changing the distance between the objects, adjusting the magnitude of the charges, and altering the materials and shapes of the objects. This can be done through the use of external electric fields or by physically moving the objects.

What are some practical applications of the concept of electric field between a needle and a plate?

The concept of electric field between a needle and a plate has several practical applications, including electrostatic generators, lightning rods, and electronic devices. It is also used in scientific research to study the behavior of electric charges and in various industries such as healthcare and telecommunications.