Electric field at (x,y) from uniformly charged rod.

In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of finding the electric field at an arbitrary point (x, y) for a thin rod with a uniformly distributed charge Q over its length L and situated on the x-axis between x=±L/2. The homework equations used include ∫dE=∫kdq/r2. There is a discrepancy in the variables used, with the program stating that the answer does not depend on k, lambda, or a, which are variables defined by the speaker. The speaker also mentions another method that results in a difficult integration, and notes that the program may be ambiguous in what variables are allowed to be defined. There is also a mention of difficulty in reading the speaker's handwriting.
MusWolf

Homework Statement

A thin rod carries a charge Q distributed uniformly over its length L , and is situated on the x-axis between x=±L/2. Find the electric field at an arbitrary point (x, y). (You will have to do separate integrals for the x and y components.)

Homework Equations

∫dE=∫kdq/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

cm5lb9q.png

mk3g2IV.png

[/B]
Mastering Physics is telling me that the answer does not depend on k, lambda or a, which are variables I defined.

I have another method of attempting the question which results in a nasty integration, it's basically Mastering Physics being very ambiguous in what I am allowed to define. As seen here:

vTWYyvn.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello MW, :welcome:

A few questions to begin with: how would the program be able to understand how you defined ##a## and ##\lambda## ? Shouldn't you use ##y## and ##Q/L## instead ?

And I don't understand how you can redefine x in an x, y coordinate system ?

MusWolf said:
is telling me that the answer does not depend on k, lambda or a,
How does it do that ? Or is that a different program ?

Is your handwriting meant to be read by others than yourself ? I find it difficult ...

Related to Electric field at (x,y) from uniformly charged rod.

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field at a specific point (x,y) from a uniformly charged rod?

The formula for calculating the electric field at a specific point (x,y) from a uniformly charged rod is E = (kλx)/[√(x^2 + L^2)] where k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the linear charge density of the rod, x is the distance from the point to the rod, and L is the length of the rod.

2. How does the distance from the rod affect the electric field at a specific point?

The electric field at a specific point is inversely proportional to the distance from the rod. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases. This relationship is described by the inverse square law.

3. Is the electric field at a specific point influenced by the charge of the rod?

Yes, the electric field at a specific point is directly proportional to the charge of the rod. This means that as the charge of the rod increases, the electric field at a specific point also increases.

4. How is the direction of the electric field determined at a specific point?

The direction of the electric field at a specific point is determined by the direction of the electric field lines, which always point away from positively charged objects and towards negatively charged objects. In the case of a uniformly charged rod, the electric field lines will point away from the rod in all directions.

5. Can the electric field at a specific point be negative?

Yes, the electric field at a specific point can be negative if the point is located in the opposite direction of the electric field lines. This means that the electric field would be pointing towards the rod instead of away from it. However, the magnitude of the electric field is always positive.