Electric field accelerated proton

In summary: The magnitude of the proton's acceleration can be found by dividing the net force on the proton by its mass. In summary, the magnitude of the proton's acceleration is 6.28*10^9 m/s^2.
SixPaperCups

Homework Statement

The electric field at a point in space is E= (200i+ 900j)N/C .
What is the magnitude of the proton's acceleration?

Homework Equations

a = F [tex]_{on q}[/tex] / m = (q/m) E

The Attempt at a Solution

I determined earlier that the x-component of the electric force on a proton was Fx = 3.20×10−17 N
Then
I found that the y-component of the electric force on a proton is Fy = 1.44×10−16 N
I know both of these are correct So
I added Fx and Fy together getting 1.76*10^-16
then I divided this net force by the mass of a proton: 1.67x10^-27 kg as the formula above suggest and got 1.05*10^11 as my answer...it's wrong but I have no idea wrong. Please help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
SixPaperCups said:

Homework Statement

The electric field at a point in space is E= (200i+ 900j)N/C .
What is the magnitude of the proton's acceleration?

Homework Equations

a = F [tex]_{on q}[/tex] / m = (q/m) E

The Attempt at a Solution

I determined earlier that the x-component of the electric force on a proton was Fx = 3.20×10−17 N
Then
I found that the y-component of the electric force on a proton is Fy = 1.44×10−16 N
I know both of these are correct So
I added Fx and Fy together getting 1.76*10^-16
then I divided this net force by the mass of a proton: 1.67x10^-27 kg as the formula above suggest and got 1.05*10^11 as my answer...it's wrong but I have no idea wrong. Please help
The electric field strength and force are vectors. One does not simply add the magnitudes of the components of a vector to obtain the magnitude of the vector.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vect.html#vec4

Related to Electric field accelerated proton

1. What is an electric field accelerated proton?

An electric field accelerated proton is a positively charged particle that has been accelerated by an electric field. Protons are subatomic particles found in the nucleus of an atom and have a positive charge. When placed in an electric field, they will experience a force and can be accelerated to high speeds.

2. How is an electric field used to accelerate protons?

An electric field is created by placing two oppositely charged plates close together. The positively charged plate will attract protons, while the negatively charged plate will repel them. The electric field between the plates will then accelerate the protons, increasing their speed.

3. What is the purpose of accelerating protons with an electric field?

Accelerating protons with an electric field is used in various scientific and medical applications. It can be used in particle accelerators to study the fundamental nature of matter, in nuclear fusion reactions to produce energy, and in medical treatments such as proton therapy for cancer.

4. How fast can an electric field accelerate protons?

The speed at which an electric field can accelerate protons depends on the strength of the electric field and the distance between the plates. In a laboratory setting, protons can be accelerated to speeds close to the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

5. Are there any risks associated with working with electric field accelerated protons?

Working with electric field accelerated protons can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. The high speeds and energies of the protons can cause damage to equipment and harm to individuals. It is important to follow safety protocols and use appropriate shielding when working with electric field accelerated protons.