Electric field above a charged square loop

In summary, the conversation is about a problem where the speaker has the complete solutions but does not understand some details, specifically what r' is and how it was found. The other person explains that r' is the position vector from a selected origin to a charge element and suggests choosing a point on the line and drawing a vector to that point to determine its components in the x and y directions.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

upload_2017-2-23_19-46-40.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the complete solutions for this problem, I just don't understand them:
upload_2017-2-23_19-47-35.png

This is the first part. I don't understand what r' is, or how we found it. Otherwise I understand the concept of the problem just not the details...

Physics news on Phys.org
Cocoleia said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 113644

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the complete solutions for this problem, I just don't understand them:
View attachment 113645
This is the first part. I don't understand what r' is, or how we found it. Otherwise I understand the concept of the problem just not the details...
r' is the position vector from selected origen to a charge element.
1487898499942.jpeg
and to get the value of r' choose one point on the line and draw the vector to that point to see which are its components in x and y direction.

Likes Cocoleia

Related to Electric field above a charged square loop

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that an electric charge has on other charges in its surroundings. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is a charged square loop?

A charged square loop is a square-shaped circuit or wire that has an electric charge. This charge can be either positive or negative and can be created by applying a voltage to the loop or by having a charged object near the loop.

How is the electric field above a charged square loop calculated?

The electric field above a charged square loop can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/d^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the loop, and d is the distance from the loop to the point where the electric field is being measured.

What factors affect the electric field above a charged square loop?

The electric field above a charged square loop is affected by the charge of the loop, the size and shape of the loop, and the distance from the loop to the point where the electric field is being measured. It is also affected by any other nearby charges or electric fields.

How is the direction of the electric field above a charged square loop determined?

The direction of the electric field above a charged square loop is determined by the direction of the electric force on a positive test charge placed at that point. It is always perpendicular to the surface of the loop and points away from the loop for a positive charge and towards the loop for a negative charge.