Electric Current - What Am I Doing Wrong?

In summary: I thought 1 cm was .01 m, so 10 cm would be .1 m.but 10 cm^2 = 10 (.01 m) ^2 = 10 * .001 m^2 = .01 m^2.
evilempire
By modeling the arm and the chest to be a cylindrical tube with a total length 2.0 m, cross-sectional area 10 cm^2, and resistivity 1.5 ohm*m, you can calculate the current in amperes through the person when a potential difference of 110 V is applied across the two hands. Assume that the current flows only through the modeled cylindrical tube. What is the current flow through the body?

The equation for resisitivity is R=rho*(L/A), and the equation for current is I=V/R. So for the R equation I plugged in the numbers, changing cm to .1 m, and got 30 ohms. I then divided 110 volts by 30 and got 3.7 (rounded to two sig figs), and my answer is not being taken as correct. The computer feedback system is saying 'check your units'. What have I done wrong?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
One idea I had - is the proper answer done such that I=V/((rho*L)/A), which would make I equal to 367 A?

the cross section area is in cm... and the rest of your problem is in SI ...

vincentchan said:
the cross section area is in cm... and the rest of your problem is in SI ...

Yeah, so I converted it to m, 10 cm = .1 m.

and do you still got 367... if you do... change battery for your calculator, or do the calculation by hand...

vincentchan said:
and do you still got 367... if you do... change battery for your calculator, or do the calculation by hand...

So it's not 367 or 3.67? Hmm...

it is 3.67

vincentchan said:
it is 3.67

That's what I calculated initially, but the computer program won't take it, which led me to believe there was error in my calculation. Thanks for the help, I greatly appreciate it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about answering the problem, but it's nice to know I had it right to begin with.

maybe you have to enter 3.67A... since the computer said check your unit

vincentchan said:
maybe you have to enter 3.67A... since the computer said check your unit

It says 'A' outside the text box to the right, so I'm pretty sure they just want a value.

10 cm^2 = .o1 m^2...did you do the convertion correctly?

vincentchan said:
10 cm^2 = .o1 m^2...did you do the convertion correctly?

It does? I thought 1 cm was .01 m, so 10 cm would be .1 m.

but 10 cm^2 = 10 (.01 m) ^2 = 10 * .001 m^2 = .01 m^2

Related to Electric Current - What Am I Doing Wrong?

1. What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge, typically in the form of electrons, through a conductor. It is measured in units of amperes (A).

2. What are the factors that affect the strength of an electric current?

The strength of an electric current is affected by three main factors: the voltage difference between two points, the resistance of the conductor, and the type of material the conductor is made of.

3. How do I calculate the electric current in a circuit?

The electric current in a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) equals the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). So, I = V/R.

4. Why is my electric current not working?

There could be several reasons why your electric current is not working. Some common reasons include a faulty circuit, a loose connection, or a blown fuse. It is important to troubleshoot and identify the specific issue in order to fix it.

5. How can I increase the electric current in my circuit?

To increase the electric current in a circuit, you can either increase the voltage or decrease the resistance. However, it is important to note that increasing the current too much can cause overheating and damage to the circuit. It is important to carefully balance these factors in order to maintain a safe and functioning circuit.