Electric current misconception

In summary, the conversation discusses a conceptual misunderstanding about electric current and the role of different charges in creating light in a lamp. The force responsible for this phenomenon is called the Lorentz force and it affects all electrons and protons in the wire. Additional sources are recommended for a better understanding of the topic.
Amr Elsayed
Hello everyone,
I have a problem which is a conceptual misunderstanding concerning electric current.
I understand that different charges attract and like charges repell, I want to know what really happens inside the wire so a lamp lights immediately when we press on the light button.
an electron takes much time to travel short distances "drift velocity" so it's not the same electron that lights the lamp and come back immediately " as I learned in middle school". I now think of it like there is some force that causes all the electrons or at least 1 electron from each atom to move. Is it right ? what exactly is that force and what caused it ?
Hint: I have no idea what an electric field is

Physics news on Phys.org
It's okay to provide me with a good detailed source to understand the whole thing, would you recommend anything ?

DaleSpam said:
The force is called the Lorentz force
so this lorentz force affects all the electrons in the wire setting them in motion ??

It affects all of the electrons and all of the protons also. However most protons and electrons are subject to pretty strong additional forces. So only the valence electrons move much in a typical metal.

Likes Amr Elsayed

Related to Electric current misconception

1. What is the most common misconception about electric current?

Many people believe that electrons flow from the positive terminal of a battery to the negative terminal, when in reality, they flow in the opposite direction.

2. Does the size of the wire affect the flow of electric current?

Yes, the size or thickness of the wire does affect the flow of electric current. Thicker wires have a greater cross-sectional area, making it easier for electrons to flow through and resulting in a higher current.

3. Is electric current the same as electric charge?

No, electric current and electric charge are different concepts. Electric charge refers to the amount of electric charge on a particle, while electric current refers to the movement of these charged particles.

4. Can electric current flow through insulators?

No, electric current can only flow through conductors, which are materials that allow the movement of electrons. Insulators, on the other hand, do not allow electrons to flow freely.

5. How does the direction of an electric current affect its properties?

The direction of an electric current does not affect its properties, as current flows in a closed loop and returns to its starting point. However, the direction of the flow can affect the polarity of a circuit and the behavior of components within it.