Electric Circuits: Why Power Rating of 2x 1000-W Heaters in Series is Not 2000-W

In summary, when two 1000-W heaters are connected in series with a voltage of 120 V, the power consumed is not 2000 W because the total resistance doubles, resulting in the power dropping to half of the original value. This is due to the fact that the voltage is now spread out over both heaters, causing the total power consumed to decrease.
chantalprince

Homework Statement

The power rating of a 1000-W heater specifies the power consumed when the heater is connected dto an AC voltage of 120 V. Explain why the power consumed by two of these heaters connected in series with a voltage of 120 V is not 2000-W.

Homework Equations

P= (V)^2/R

(?) P = IVsin^2(2 pi ft)

f= frequency
t= time

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it because there are 2x the resistance? Therefore lowering P? In my text it starts to explain something about sinusoidal fluctuation but I don't really get how it pertains to this question, however I feel it may...

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the voltage across each if they are in series?

I'm not completely sure, but is it 60 V each?

Right. What does that tell you?

That the watts used doesn't change.

chantalprince said:
That the watts used doesn't change.
:bugeye:

So you think that if you have a device that uses 1000W when it is hooked up to 120V it will still use up 1000W if you turned the voltage down by half? :wink:

(blush) Well, I thought that each unit was turned down by half. There are 2 heaters connected to the in the series.

Still stumped here :(

chantalprince said:
(blush) Well, I thought that each unit was turned down by half. There are 2 heaters connected to the in the series.
Yes.

The only way that each heater can produce 1000W (for a total of 2000W) is if each heater is given the full 120V. But we just showed that each heater gets only half the voltage, thus the total power must be less than 2000W.

Ok :) So is the total power between the 2 heaters 1000-W?

chantalprince said:
Ok :) So is the total power between the 2 heaters 1000-W?
Not necessarily. You can answer that by applying one of the equations from your first post. What happens to the total resistance?

Last edited:
What?! I am so lost here! Ok, so if the total watts for one heater connected to 120 V is 1000 watts, and if 2 heaters are in a series with 120 V and each heater has 60 V, then wouldn't the total watts add back up to 120 and leave us where we started?

Ok, I think I got it. So P = V^2/R that gives me R = 14.4 When the voltage is cut in half then it becomes P = 60^2/14.4 so P = 250...is this correct?!

The total voltage (not wattage) would add up to 120 V. But that voltage is now spread out over both heaters. Use your power equation: P = V^2/R. If the total volts remains the same, but the resistance doubles, what happens to the total power consumed?

So R = 14.4 when voltage is 120 for ONE heater. When there are 2 R doubles. So, the total watts for the 2 heaters is 500 W?

Right. Since the total resistance doubles while the voltage remains the same, the power drops to half.

Thank you so much Doc Al!

Related to Electric Circuits: Why Power Rating of 2x 1000-W Heaters in Series is Not 2000-W

1. How do electric circuits work?

Electric circuits work by allowing an electrical current to flow through a looped pathway, usually made up of conductive materials such as wires. This current is created by a power source, such as a battery, and can be controlled and manipulated by various components such as switches and resistors.

2. What is the power rating of an electric circuit?

The power rating of an electric circuit refers to the amount of energy that can be delivered or consumed by the circuit. It is measured in watts (W) and is determined by the voltage and current in the circuit.

3. Why is the power rating of 2x 1000-W heaters in series not 2000-W?

This is because when two heaters are connected in series, the current remains the same, but the voltage is divided between them. This means that each heater is only receiving half of the voltage, resulting in a total power rating of 1000 watts for the series circuit.

4. Can the power rating of an electric circuit be increased by connecting components in series?

No, connecting components in series will not increase the power rating of an electric circuit. As stated earlier, the current remains the same and the voltage is divided between the components. Therefore, the total power rating will remain the same.

5. How can the power rating of an electric circuit be increased?

The power rating of an electric circuit can be increased by connecting components in parallel. In a parallel circuit, the voltage remains the same but the current is divided between the components. This means that each component will receive the full voltage, resulting in a higher total power rating for the circuit.