Solving a Series Circuit with Unequal Resistor Powers

In summary: V1 = Vn * Pn/(Pn+Pn)V2 = Vn * Pn/(Pn+Pn)But it also says (implies) that resistors in series dissipate the total power P at the rated voltage Vn. That gives you a way to write an equation...R1 = Vn2/50R2 = Vn2/100Substitute into 2...R1 = Vn2/50*(1/50+1/100)R2 = Vn2/100*(1/50+1/100)So the final equation is...PT =
crom1

Homework Statement

Two resistors of equal rated voltages ##V_n##, and different rated powers ##P_{n1}= 50 W## and ##P_{n2}= 100 W## are connected in series on source of rated voltage. Find total power of a circuit.

Homework Equations

[/B]##P=\frac{U^2}{R} ##, ## R=R_1+R_2 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not quite sure what rated voltage is. I mean if two resistors have same voltage, and are connected in series, shouldn't they have same power? (obviously the word "rated" makes some difference but I don't know how).
My attempt was that using that voltage of a source is sum of voltages of the resistors (which it really is in series ) and using *relevant equations* but instead of getting ##P=33.33 W ## I get ##P=133.33 W ## . I notice that If ##V_{source}= V_{n}## I would get the right result.
Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the rated voltage Vn is applied to a resistor it will dissipate the rated power.

Try writing equations for R1 and R2 in terms of Vn and Pn.
Then try drawing the new circuit. The problem says the voltage source is also Vn
How would you normally simplify a circuit with two resistors in series?
Note the problem statement only asks for the total power.

CWatters said:
If the rated voltage Vn is applied to a resistor it will dissipate the rated power.
That's generally not correct.
I've had a look at some SMD-resistors ( 0.125W ), and for all resistors Vn = 100Vdc though the resistor values are within a range of 1Ω to 1MΩ.
The Vn value is determined from the max. field strength (V/m) and thus from the mechanical size of the resistor, not from the power.

Agreed. But I think it's the only way to solve this problem.

Agreed -- it's a strangely worded problem.

@crom1 -- can you upload a scan of the problem?

The original problem is not in english. (unless someone here doesn't know croatian I don't see a point in posting it). I don't see a mistake in my translation but it is possible there is a mistake, I will try to ask maybe on some croatian forum to see if the problem makes sense.

I notice that If Vsource =Vn V_{source}= V_{n} I would get the right result.

Don't go because I think you have the right answer.

This is how I approached it...

P = V2/R
so
R1 = Vn2/50
R2 = Vn2/100

In the new circuit you have R1 and R2 in series with Vn so the new power PT is

PT = Vn2/ (Vn2/50 + Vn2/100)

Vn2 cancels

PT = 1 / (1/50 + 1/100)
= 33.33 W

Likes crom1
CWatters said:
Don't go because I think you have the right answer.

This is how I approached it...

P = V2/R
so
R1 = Vn2/50
R2 = Vn2/100

In the new circuit you have R1 and R2 in series with Vn so the new power PT is

PT = Vn2/ (Vn2/50 + Vn2/100)

Vn2 cancels

PT = 1 / (1/50 + 1/100)
= 33.33 W

Yes, I noticed that solving it like that, I would get the right answer. But I have question, if the voltage of a source is ##V_n##, then how come the voltages on the resistors are also ##V_n##, since in series we have that ##V_{source}=V_1+V_2## and in this case it would be## V_n+V_n= V_n ##?

crom1 said:
But I have question, if the voltage of a source is V n V_n, then how come the voltages on the resistors are also Vn

That's not correct. In the final circuit the voltage source is Vn (from the problem statement) but the voltage on each resistor is not Vn. I'm not sure it's even possible to work out the voltage on each resistor based on the info given. See next post.

They carefully choose the voltage source to be Vn just so that it would cancel later. It's one of those problems that tries to fool you into thinking you don't have enough information but in reality it's been carefully crafted so that the info you think is missing isn't actually needed.

Last edited:
Actually I think you can write an equation for the voltage on each resistor in the final circuit..

The potential divider rule can be used to write...

V1 = Vn * R1/(R1+R2)...(1)
V2 = Vn * R2/(R1+R2)...(2)

We know from the problem statement..
R1 = Vn2/50
R2 = Vn2/100

Substitute into 1...

V1 = Vn * Vn2/50 / (Vn2/50 + Vn2/100)
Vn2 cancel leaving
V1 = Vn * 1/50 / (1/50 + 1/100)
which further simplifies to
V1 = 2/3 * Vn
and so
V2 = 1/3 * Vn

One thing is unclear to me.
Why is
## R_1 = \frac{V_n^2}{50} ##
## R_2 = \frac{V_n^2}{100 }##

and not ## R_1=\frac{V_1^2}{50} ## ?

crom1 said:
Why is
R1 =Vn2/50
R2 =Vn2/100

The problem statement effectively describes two situations. Resistors tested on their own and then used in a circuit.

The problem statement says (implies) that when each resistor is tested on it's own it dissipates the rated power Pn at the rated voltage Vn. That gives you a way to write an equation for the resistance that you can later use to solve the other circuit..

Pn = Vn/Rn
and
Rn = Vn/Pn

It also says that the rated voltage Vn is the same for both resistors so no need to replace the "n" in Vn with a 1 or 2 because when tested on their own V1=V2=Vn.

and not
R1 =V12/50

You can't use..

R1 =V12/50

in the circuit with both resistors because the power dissipated in R1 (R2) is no longer 50W (100W).

Likes crom1
That makes sense. Thanks CWatters

Related to Solving a Series Circuit with Unequal Resistor Powers

1. How do you calculate the total resistance of a series circuit with unequal resistor powers?

To calculate the total resistance of a series circuit with unequal resistor powers, you simply add up the individual resistances. This is because in a series circuit, the current remains constant throughout, so the total resistance is equal to the sum of all the resistances.

2. Can you use Ohm's Law to solve a series circuit with unequal resistor powers?

Yes, you can use Ohm's Law (V = IR) to solve a series circuit with unequal resistor powers. However, you need to use it for each individual resistor to calculate the voltage drop across it, and then add up all the voltage drops to find the total voltage of the circuit.

3. What is the formula for calculating power in a series circuit with unequal resistor powers?

The formula for calculating power in a series circuit with unequal resistor powers is P = I²R, where P is the power in watts, I is the current in amperes, and R is the resistance in ohms. You can also use P = V²/R, where V is the voltage in volts.

4. How do you determine the current in a specific resistor in a series circuit with unequal resistor powers?

The current in a specific resistor in a series circuit with unequal resistor powers can be found using Ohm's Law (I = V/R), where V is the voltage drop across that resistor and R is its resistance. Alternatively, you can use the total current of the circuit and the individual resistances to calculate the current in each resistor using the formula I = I(total) x (R(individual)/R(total)).

5. What happens to the current in a series circuit with unequal resistor powers if one resistor is removed?

If one resistor is removed from a series circuit with unequal resistor powers, the total resistance of the circuit decreases, and therefore, the total current increases. This is because the current follows the path of least resistance, so with one less resistor, there is less resistance overall.