Elastic collision of three balls

In summary: So now you have two equations and two unknowns. That should be solvable.By the way, the angle is not ##\pi /6## . That would be the angle if the initial velocity were parallel to the line of centers. But it is not. So you need to do a little more geometry to get the correct angle. But it's not too complicated.In summary, the problem involves two identical balls colliding with each other, with the first ball having an initial velocity of ##v_1## and the second ball initially at rest. The resulting velocity after the collision can be determined using conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations. The transformation matrix and covariance matrix can also be calculated. The angle of collision can be found using geometry
skrat

Homework Statement

The first ball collides with ##v_1## collides with the second two as shown in the picture. All balls are identical and the second balls have no speed at the beginning.
Find the transform matrix and find the covariation matrix after the collision if it is ##
\begin{bmatrix}
\sigma ^2 & 0\\
0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}## before the collision.
Captureg.PNG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The momentum is conserved: $$mv_1=2m{v_2}'cos\varphi$$ where luckily the balls are identical, therefore ##cos\varphi =\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}##. And also kinetic energy is conserved $$\frac 1 2 v_1^2={v_2}'^2$$ This brings me to transform matrix $$
\begin{bmatrix}
{v_1}'\\
{v_2}'
\end{bmatrix}=A\begin{bmatrix}
{v_1}\\
{v_2}
\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0\\
0 & \frac{1}{\sqrt 2}
\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}
{v_1}\\
{v_2}
\end{bmatrix}$$ and finally also to covariance matrix $${M}'=AM_0A^T=
\begin{bmatrix}
0 &0 \\
0&0
\end{bmatrix}$$ The last step was done using mathematica. And the most confusing part here is that all the components are completely correlated - I am having some troubles to interpret this absolute correlation. Could somebody help me with that? It is also possible that my result is completely wrong in that case, please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
skrat said:
where luckily the balls are identical, therefore ##cos\varphi =\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}##.
Why?
And why do you think ball 1 stops?

And the most confusing part here is that all the components are completely correlated - I am having some troubles to interpret this absolute correlation. Could somebody help me with that? It is also possible that my result is completely wrong in that case, please let me know.
How could they be independent (and independent of what)?

How would I then find ##\varphi ##?

If ball 1 doesn't stop, than from the conservation of momentum $$v_1=2{v_2}'cos\varphi + {v_1}'$$and from conservation of kinetic energy$$v_1^2=2{v_2}'^2+{v_1}'^2$$

Now I have two equations for three unknown parameters ##{v_1}'##,##{v_2}'## and ##\varphi ##.

Last edited:
Should I work in the CMS system?

##u_1=v_1+v_{CMS}## and ##u_2=v_2-v_{CMS}=-v_{CMS}##. Conservation of momentum than brings me to ##mu_1-mu_2=0## meaning ##v_{CMS}=-\frac{v_1}{2}## and conservation of energy to ##u_1^2=2{u_2}'^2+{u_1}'^2=3{u_1}'^2##.

Now ##{u_1}'=\sqrt 3({v_1}'+v_{CMS})=u_1=v_1+_{CMS}## mening $${v_1}'=v_1\frac{1+\sqrt 3}{2\sqrt 3}$$ and similar for $${v_2}'=v_1\frac{\sqrt 3 -1}{2\sqrt 3}$$.

Would this be ok?

skrat said:
How would I then find ##\varphi ##?
Momentum transfer is along the line "contact point <-> center of balls".

If ball 1 doesn't stop, than from the conservation of momentum $$v_1=2{v_2}'cos\varphi + {v_1}'$$and from conservation of kinetic energy$$v_1^2=2{v_2}'^2+{v_1}'^2$$

Now I have two equations for three unknown parameters ##{v_1}'##,##{v_2}'## and ##\varphi ##.
You can get the angle from the geometry of the problem.

I would not go to the cms. Also, your formulas look wrong there.

Hmmm, from the geometry?

So, since the balls are identical, I can say that ##\varphi = \pi /4## ?

Why pi/4? Where does that number come from?

Yes from geometry, see the first part of my post.

Blaaah, that's a mistake, I mean't to write ##\varphi =\pi /3##

Keeping guessing numbers does not make it better. Sure eventually you'll hit the right one (not yet), but that is not a solution.

I wasn't guessing, the geometry is clear. Equilateral triangle with all three sides ##2R## if ##R## is the radius of each ball.

The angles in the equilateral triangle are ##\pi /3##. However, you are right, If I wouldn't be so careless I would see that the angle is actually half of that, therefore ##\pi /6##.

Right.

Related to Elastic collision of three balls

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two or more objects where the total kinetic energy of the objects remains constant before and after the collision. This means that the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

2. How is the collision of three balls different from a collision between two balls?

In the collision of three balls, the momentum and energy transfer between the balls can be more complex compared to a collision between two balls. This is because the third ball can change the direction and speed of the other two balls in different ways.

3. What factors affect the outcome of an elastic collision between three balls?

The outcome of an elastic collision between three balls can be affected by various factors such as the masses of the balls, their initial velocities, and the angle at which they collide. The coefficient of restitution, which measures the elasticity of the objects, also plays a role in determining the outcome of the collision.

4. Can the total kinetic energy be conserved in an elastic collision of three balls?

Yes, the total kinetic energy can be conserved in an elastic collision of three balls if there is no external force acting on the system. In this case, the kinetic energy of the system before the collision will be equal to the kinetic energy of the system after the collision.

5. How is the momentum conserved in an elastic collision of three balls?

In an elastic collision of three balls, the total momentum before the collision will be equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is because momentum is a conserved quantity, meaning it cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between objects.