Elastic Collision and Kinematic Problem

In summary, when Ball One is released from the ramp it falls to the ground at a speed of .05 kg/s. When it hits Ball Two, the angle of the collision is measured to be zero degrees. The problem can't be solved using basic math, so the person is trying to use energy to try and find t. They're not sure if their reasoning is clear.
22flakes

Homework Statement

A .1 m ramp is sitting at the edge of a horizontal surface that is 1 m from the ground. One ball is resting at the top of a ramp and another ball is resting at the bottom of the ramp where it is flattened. Each ball has a mass of .05 kg. Ball one is released and hits ball two. Find the displacement of ball two and the angle that it makes relative to the starting position. The starting position is at angle 0 degrees.

Homework Equations

When VB, i=0
VA, f = [(mA - mB)/(mA + mB)]VA, i
VB, f = [2ma/(mA + mB)]Va, i
R=[(Vi^2sin2(theta))/g]
y= Viy - gt

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I have to find the VA in order to get VB, but if I try to solve for those velocities, I end up with 0. VA, i is 0, and when plugged in it gives the final velocities at 0. I thought about trying to use the variables and cancel out somehow, but that didn't lead me anywhere.

I know that when the balls are both in free fall they'll have a constant velocity because of gravity, but time isn't given. I also tried to figure out a way to find t through other equations and plug it in, but I couldn't find a way.

I also don't know how to find the final angle.

I appreciate all help.

Physics news on Phys.org
22flakes said:

Homework Statement

A .1 m ramp is sitting at the edge of a horizontal surface that is 1 m from the ground. One ball is resting at the top of a ramp and another ball is resting at the bottom of the ramp where it is flattened. Each ball has a mass of .05 kg. Ball one is released and hits ball two. Find the displacement of ball two and the angle that it makes relative to the starting position. The starting position is at angle 0 degrees.

I'm not sure I understand the physical set up. Am I right that Ball One slides down an incline from a height of 0.1 m and then strikes Ball Two horizontally?

If so, to get the speed of Ball One at the moment of the collision, you want to find the velocity of a body that falls from rest for a distance of 0.1 m. Do you know how to do that? Have you worked with the fact that energy is a state function?

Is my reasoning for this clear?

Fewmet said:
I'm not sure I understand the physical set up. Am I right that Ball One slides down an incline from a height of 0.1 m and then strikes Ball Two horizontally?

If so, to get the speed of Ball One at the moment of the collision, you want to find the velocity of a body that falls from rest for a distance of 0.1 m. Do you know how to do that? Have you worked with the fact that energy is a state function?

Is my reasoning for this clear?

Yes, that's right. Thank you, the problem makes more sense to me. I'll try to tackle the problem again.

Related to Elastic Collision and Kinematic Problem

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that after the collision, the objects will continue moving with the same speed and direction as before the collision.

What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved. This means that in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

How do you calculate the final velocities of objects in an elastic collision?

The final velocities of the objects can be calculated using the equations for conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. These equations take into account the masses and initial velocities of the objects, as well as the angle at which they collide.

What is a kinematic problem?

A kinematic problem is a type of physics problem that involves the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. These problems usually involve calculating displacement, velocity, and acceleration of objects based on given information such as initial and final positions, velocities, and time.

How can you approach solving a kinematic problem involving elastic collisions?

To solve a kinematic problem involving elastic collisions, you can use the equations for conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. It is also helpful to draw a diagram and label all the given information, as well as the unknown variables. Then, you can substitute the known values into the equations and solve for the unknown variables.