Eigenvector existence in complex space

In summary: A field is algebraically closed if for every two elements there exists a real number such that they are both members of the same field.
jostpuur
I'm reading a proof where there's a conclusion: "Since [itex]zW\subset W[/itex], there is an eigenvector [itex]v\neq 0[/itex] of z in W, [itex]zv=\lambda v[/itex]." There W is a subspace of some vector space V, and z is a matrix, in fact a member of some solvable Lie algebra [itex]\mathfrak{g}\subset\mathfrak{gl}(V)[/itex]. (Could be irrelevant information, though.)

This seemed a strange claim, because just because z maps W into W doesn't in general mean that the eigenvector exists like that. However, I noticed that I was unable to come up with a counter example if I allowed the W to be over the complex field. Is there a theorem that says something like this:

Let [itex]W\subset\mathbb{C}^n[/itex] be a vector space, and A a matrix such that [itex]AW\subset W[/itex]. Then there exists an eigenvector [itex]v\in W[/itex] of the matrix A, so that [itex]Av=\lambda v[/itex] for some [itex]\lambda \in\mathbb{C}^n[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
hmhm... the equation

[tex]
\textrm{det}(A-\lambda\cdot 1)=0
[/tex]

of course has complex solutions. But is this enough for the existence of the eigenvectors? The conclusion works in the other direction at least. If that determinant is non-zero, then eigenvectors don't exist.

Of course there is an eigenvector. That W is a subspace is irrelevant. W is a complex vector space and z restricts to an endomorphism of it, hence it has an e-vector. This is true if we replace C with any algebraically closed field. What is an e-vector? A root of the char poly. In particular t is an e-value of Z implies ker(Z-t) is not zere. Let v be any element of the kernel, hence (Z-t)v=0.

The matrix

[tex]
A =
\left[\begin{array}{cc}
0 & -1 \\
1 & 0 \\
\end{array}\right]
[/tex]

gives linear mappings [itex]A:\mathbb{C}^2\to\mathbb{C}^2[/itex] and [itex]A:\mathbb{R}^2\to\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] so that [itex]A\mathbb{C}^2\subset\mathbb{C}^2[/itex] and [itex]A\mathbb{R}^2\subset\mathbb{R}^2[/itex]. I can see that in the complex case vectors (1,-i) and (1,i) are eigenvectors with eigenvalues [itex]\pm i[/itex], but it doesn't look like that the eigenvectors exist in the real case.

To me, at least, the question is not whether eigenvectors exist but whether eigenvalues exist. If [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue of A, then there exist non-0 v such that Av= [itex]\lambda[/itex]v by definition of "eigenvalue".

Yes, some matrices, over the real numbers, do not have real eigenvalues- and so, since we are talking "over the real numbers" do not have eigenvalues. Since the complex numbers are algebraically closed, the "eigenvalue equation" always has a solution and so a matrix, over the complex numbers, always has at least one (complex) eigenvalue and so eigenvectors.

Okey, I missed the meaning of "algebraically closed" previously.

Last edited:

Related to Eigenvector existence in complex space

1. What is an eigenvector in complex space?

An eigenvector in complex space is a vector that, when multiplied by a specific matrix, results in a scalar multiple of itself. In simpler terms, it is a vector that does not change direction when multiplied by a matrix.

2. How is eigenvector existence determined in complex space?

Eigenvector existence in complex space is determined by finding the roots of the characteristic polynomial of the matrix. If there are non-zero complex roots, then eigenvectors exist in complex space.

3. Can a matrix have multiple eigenvectors in complex space?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple eigenvectors in complex space. In fact, most matrices have multiple eigenvectors. Each eigenvector corresponds to a unique eigenvalue.

4. What is the significance of eigenvectors in complex space?

Eigenvectors in complex space are important because they provide a basis for diagonalizing a matrix. This allows for simpler calculations and can reveal important information about the behavior of the matrix.

5. Are eigenvectors in complex space always complex numbers?

No, eigenvectors in complex space can also be real numbers. However, they are more commonly complex due to the nature of complex matrices and their eigenvalues.