Eigenvalues/Vectors with bizarre 3x3 matrix

• Thread starter david118
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3x3 Matrix
Thus d and d^2005 commute.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of B^2005, where B is a matrix that can be written as a diagonal matrix plus a nilpotent matrix. The matrix B has an eigenvalue of 2 with a multiplicity of 3. By plugging in the eigenvalue into B, the original matrix, it is determined that the matrix must have three 0s in a row, indicating a nilpotent matrix. Using the given hint, the matrix is rewritten as a diagonal matrix with 2s for each entry and a nilpotent matrix, which simplifies the problem. The final solution is found by expanding (d+n)^2005, where d represents
david118

Homework Statement

Let B :=
2 1 5
0 2 3
0 0 2. [Hint: Write B as a diag-matrix
plus a nilpotent matrix.]

Then B^2005 = ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i found the eigenvalue to be 2, with a multiplicity of 3. When plugging the eigenvalue back into B, the original matrix, I am left with all zeros except for a 1 in top row 2nd column, a 5 next to it on right, and a 3 below the 5. Thus i figured 3x3 must = 0, thus x3=0. and this x2 =0, and no eigenvectors. So IDK what to do..

i took the hint, and made it the diag matrix with 2s for each entry of hte 3x3 matrix. the nilpotent thus is the remaining terms, which goes to zero for the matrix cubed.
nevermind i got it. thanks anyway yall
thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No probs - well done:
BTW: wot he said (below)

Last edited:
B=d+n
b^2005=(d+n)^2005
=b^2005+2005 d^2004 n+2009010d^2003 n^2+1341349010d^2002 n^3+...

Yeah remember B and d commute.

Related to Eigenvalues/Vectors with bizarre 3x3 matrix

What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are mathematical concepts used in linear algebra to understand the behavior of linear transformations. Eigenvalues are scalars that represent the amount by which an eigenvector is stretched or compressed by a linear transformation.

How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors calculated for a 3x3 matrix?

The eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a 3x3 matrix can be calculated by solving the characteristic equation, which is obtained by setting the determinant of the matrix minus a scalar equal to zero. The resulting eigenvalues can then be plugged back into the matrix to solve for the corresponding eigenvectors.

What makes a 3x3 matrix "bizarre" in terms of its eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

A 3x3 matrix can be considered "bizarre" if it has complex eigenvalues and/or eigenvectors. This means that the eigenvalues and eigenvectors involve imaginary numbers, making them harder to understand and visualize.

Why are eigenvalues and eigenvectors important in science and engineering?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors have a wide range of applications in science and engineering. They are used to analyze data, solve differential equations, and understand the behavior of systems in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and economics.

Can a 3x3 matrix have more than three eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

No, a 3x3 matrix can only have three eigenvalues and eigenvectors. This is because the number of eigenvalues and eigenvectors is equal to the size of the matrix. So a 3x3 matrix can have at most three eigenvalues and eigenvectors.