EGR ratio from exhaust gas composition

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between EGR ratio and exhaust composition in the context of stoichiometric combustion. The question of whether EGR ratio can be calculated from available data is explored, with the conclusion that it cannot be determined. The possibility of determining EGR ratio in the presence of excess air is also considered, with the same result. However, a SAE paper is referenced which suggests a connection between EGR and gas concentrations in the exhaust, but the attempt to replicate the results of the paper yields a different outcome. Ultimately, it is found that the mole fractions of gases in the exhaust are independent of the recycle ratio.
mrcarbon4hydrohen

Homework Statement

given:-fuel and air mass flow, measured mole ratios of exhaust composition y_i. Let's assume stoichiometric combustion so we have only CO2, H20 and N2 as products.

Homework Equations

Can EGR ratio be calculated from available data?

The Attempt at a Solution

skica zadatka (2).jpg

I get result that molar ratios don't depend on EGR ratio.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first equation already tells you this.

I have another question. I there is excess air, can EGR be determined? Folowing the same logic as before, it can't. This time I used a slightly different formula but result is the same.
slika_1.png

slika_2.png
but..
I found a SAE paper in which (Fresh Air+EGR)/Fuel ratio is determined by exhaust concentrations. So I think there is connection between EGR and gas concentations in exhaust. This is the paper(you can see in preview of SAE paper what I am reffering to, equation (3)): http://papers.sae.org/2010-01-1285/ .I tried to get solution as in paper, but got different result.
slika_3.png

Attachments

• slika_1.png
    slika_1.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 552
  • slika_2.png
    slika_2.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 581
  • slika_3.png
    slika_3.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 568
As best I can tell, the mole fractions of the gases in the exhaust are independent of the recycle ratio.

Related to EGR ratio from exhaust gas composition

1. What is EGR ratio and why is it important?

EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) ratio refers to the amount of exhaust gas that is recirculated back into the engine. It is an important measure for reducing harmful emissions and improving fuel efficiency.

2. How is EGR ratio calculated?

EGR ratio is calculated by dividing the amount of recirculated exhaust gas by the total amount of exhaust gas. This is typically expressed as a percentage.

3. What factors affect the EGR ratio?

The EGR ratio can be affected by various factors such as engine load, temperature, and speed. It can also be influenced by the design of the EGR system and the amount of soot build-up in the system.

4. What is the ideal EGR ratio for an engine?

The ideal EGR ratio for an engine varies depending on the type of engine and its operating conditions. Generally, it is recommended to keep the EGR ratio between 5-15% for gasoline engines and 20-30% for diesel engines.

5. How does the EGR ratio affect engine performance?

An optimal EGR ratio can improve engine performance by reducing engine knock, lowering combustion temperatures, and decreasing nitrogen oxide emissions. However, an incorrect EGR ratio can negatively impact engine power, fuel efficiency, and emissions levels.