Egg Drop Lab Challenge: Achieving Controlled Crushability in 8cm

In summary, an egg can be dropped from a height without it cracking using a toothpick frame and helium balloons.
emma3001
I have to do an egg drop lab (be able to drop an egg from 10m without it cracking) what should i use- toothpicks and glue for "controlled crushability". In other words, the egg would break the toothpicks when it lands so it would not crack. This sounds good but the problem is that the parameters of the container are only 8cm x 8cm x 8cm. Any amazing and ingenious ideas?!

Physics news on Phys.org
The crushable frame reduces the acceleration and thus force on the egg. The frame also absorbs some energy by deforming.

In addition, if one can employ a parachute to reduce the decent velocity, this would reduce the kinetic energy and the requirement on the deceleration.

haha. I did this in high school.

I used a V-shaped styrofoam body to hold the egg, and 4 helium balloons to reduce the velocity.

The twist was that the EGG MUST come out of the device and be on the floor independantly without being cracked. it was either 0% or 100%. I passed it. It worked.

the styrofoam was V-shaped so when it lands it tips over to one side and makes the egg roll out. I had to tape some paper on the sides to slow the egg from rolling out too fast.

We dropped it from the roof of our school.

have fun.

EDIT: oh in my experience with egg drop projects, I don't think a toothpick frame would work too well. test all your prototypes many many many times.

Last edited:
part of the problem is that the egg must be fully contained in a box or whatever-in other words the egg cannot leave a container when it is dropped. I've thought of attaching something like a balloon but it must be within the parameters of 8cmx8xcmx8cm.

Will an egg even fit in anything that's 8cm?

Related to Egg Drop Lab Challenge: Achieving Controlled Crushability in 8cm

1. What is the purpose of the Egg Drop Lab Challenge?

The purpose of the Egg Drop Lab Challenge is to design and construct a protective device that will prevent a raw egg from breaking when dropped from a height of 8cm. This challenge tests your ability to think critically and creatively about how to achieve controlled crushability for a fragile object.

2. What materials are allowed for use in the Egg Drop Lab Challenge?

You may use any materials you wish to construct your protective device, as long as they are safe and do not violate any rules set by your instructor. Commonly used materials include paper, straws, tape, cotton balls, and bubble wrap.

3. Can I work in a team for the Egg Drop Lab Challenge?

Yes, you may work in a team for the Egg Drop Lab Challenge. In fact, working collaboratively can often lead to more creative and effective solutions. However, make sure to follow any guidelines or restrictions set by your instructor for team size.

4. How will the Egg Drop Lab Challenge be graded?

The Egg Drop Lab Challenge will be graded based on the success of your protective device in preventing the egg from breaking when dropped from 8cm. Your device will also be evaluated on its design, stability, and use of materials. Make sure to carefully read and follow the grading rubric provided by your instructor.

5. What are some tips for achieving controlled crushability in the Egg Drop Lab Challenge?

Some tips for achieving controlled crushability include creating a stable and shock-absorbing structure, using lightweight materials, and distributing the force of impact evenly across the device. It can also be helpful to test and make adjustments to your device before the final drop test.