Efficiently Solve a Challenging Rotation Problem | Homework with Shell Method

In summary, the conversation is discussing setting up an integral using the shell method to solve a problem involving a graph of \ \ x=\sqrt{\sin(y)}\ \ with y going from 0 to π. The speaker is seeking help finding the radius for this problem.
iRaid

Homework Statement

serocp.png

Homework Equations

Shell method

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure if this is right, but the integral I set up is:
[tex]2\pi \int_0^1 (4-y)(\sqrt{siny})dy[/tex]

Finding the radius is my big problem with these problems, I can't visualize it very well.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
iRaid said:

Homework Statement

serocp.png

Homework Equations

Shell method

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure if this is right, but the integral I set up is:
[tex]2\pi \int_0^1 (4-y)(\sqrt{siny})dy[/tex]
Finding the radius is my big problem with these problems, I can't visualize it very well.

Any help is appreciated.
That looks fine except for the limits of integration.

How did you get those limits?

graphing [tex]\sqrt{siny}[/tex] from 0 to pi gives me a curve that goes to 1 and back to 0. Since I'm integrating wrt y, I figured it's 0 to 1?

Last edited:
iRaid said:
graphing [tex]\sqrt{siny}[/tex] from 0 to pi gives me a curve that goes to 1 and back to 0. Since I'm integrating wrt y, I figured it's 0 to 1?
You don't have [itex]\ \ y=\sqrt{\sin(x)}\ \ [/itex] with x going from 0 to π.

You have [itex]\ \ x=\sqrt{\sin(y)}\ \ [/itex] with y going from 0 to π --- and your integration is w.r.t. y.

SammyS said:
You don't have [itex]\ \ y=\sqrt{\sin(x)}\ \ [/itex] with x going from 0 to π.

You have [itex]\ \ x=\sqrt{\sin(y)}\ \ [/itex] with y going from 0 to π --- and your integration is w.r.t. y.

Thanks, probably shouldn't agree with wolfram straight after I graph...

Related to Efficiently Solve a Challenging Rotation Problem | Homework with Shell Method

What is a volume of rotation problem?

A volume of rotation problem is a type of calculus problem in which you are given a 2-dimensional shape and asked to find the volume of the 3-dimensional shape created by rotating the 2-dimensional shape around an axis.

Why are volume of rotation problems considered difficult?

Volume of rotation problems can be challenging because they require a good understanding of calculus concepts such as integrals and the disk and shell methods. They also often involve complex algebraic manipulations and require careful attention to detail.

What are some common strategies for solving volume of rotation problems?

Some common strategies for solving volume of rotation problems include breaking the shape into smaller, simpler shapes, using the appropriate formula for the method of integration (disk or shell), and carefully setting up and solving the integral.

What are some real-world applications of volume of rotation problems?

Volume of rotation problems have many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a water tank, finding the volume of a medicine capsule, or determining the volume of a 3-dimensional object created by a 3D printer.

What are some tips for tackling really hard volume of rotation problems?

Some tips for tackling really hard volume of rotation problems include practicing with simpler problems first, drawing clear and accurate diagrams, double-checking your work, and seeking help from a teacher or tutor if needed.