Efficient Methods for Evaluating Complex Sums: A Scientific Approach

• MHB
  • Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the conversation discusses a summation problem that involves alternating signs and the use of Hurwitz Zeta functions. The final solution is not exact, but it is close to the result given by Wolfram Alpha. Zaid provides a solution by splitting the sum into three terms and using the alternating zeta function.
Saitama
While doing an another problem, I came across the following sum and I have no idea about how one should go about evaluating it.

$$\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} (-1)^k\left(\frac{1}{(3k+2)^2}-\frac{1}{(3k+1)^2}\right)$$

Wolfram Alpha gives $-\frac{2\pi^2}{27}$ as the result but I have absolutely no idea how it got this. In alternate forms for this solution, it shows digamma and generalised Zeta function but I would like a solution without using these. You may use $\zeta(2)=\pi^2/6$ because I think it would necessary for this sum.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Pranav! :D

Ostensibly, the Hurwitz Zeta functions - of which the Riemann Zeta is but a special case - are one and the same as the Polygamma functions, so even without 'appearing to use them' in a solution, you will do anyway, indirectly.

I'll sketch out a proof, but it'll take a little while for me to type the code. Back in a bit... ;)

NOTE: I don't quite get the same answer, but it's out by just a small fraction. I can't find any mistakes here, but that certainly doesn't rule it out... (Headbang) Nonetheless, I hope the methodology will at least be useful! lol
Split the series into two:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k}{(3k+2)^2} - \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k}{(3k+1)^2}\)

And then split each of those into two, by splitting the index k into odd and even terms 2k and 2k+1, thus eliminating the alternating signs:\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(6k+2)^2} - \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(6k+5)^2} -
\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(6k+1)^2} + \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(6k+4)^2}=\)
\(\displaystyle -\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \left[ \frac{1}{(6k+1)^2} + \frac{1}{(6k+2)^2} + \frac{1}{(6k+3)^2} + \frac{1}{(6k+4)^2} + \frac{1}{(6k+5)^2 } + \frac{1}{(6k+6)^2}
\right] +\)

\(\displaystyle 2\, \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(6k+2)^2} +
\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(6k+3)^2} +
2\, \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(6k+4)^2} +
\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(6k+6)^2}=\)
\(\displaystyle -\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k^2} + 2\, \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(6k+2)^2} +
\(\displaystyle -\zeta(2) + 2\, \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(6k+2)^2} +
\(\displaystyle -\zeta(2) +2\, \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \left[ \frac{1}{(6k+2)^2} + \frac{1}{(6k+4)^2}\right] +
\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \left[ \frac{1}{(6k+3)^2} + \frac{1}{(6k+6)^2}\right] = \)
\(\displaystyle -\zeta(2) +\frac{2}{2^2}\, \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \left[ \frac{1}{(3k+1)^2} + \frac{1}{(3k+2)^2}\right] +
\frac{1}{3^2}\, \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \left[ \frac{1}{(3k+1)^2} + \frac{1}{(3k+2)^2}\right] =\)
\(\displaystyle -\zeta(2) +\frac{11}{18}\, \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \left[ \frac{1}{(3k+1)^2} + \frac{1}{(3k+2)^2}\right] = \)
\(\displaystyle -\zeta(2) +\frac{11}{18}\, \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \left[ \frac{1}{(3k+1)^2} + \frac{1}{(3k+2)^2} + \frac{1}{(3k+3)^2} \right] - \frac{11}{18}\, \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(3k+3)^2} = \)
\(\displaystyle -\zeta(2) +\frac{11}{18}\, \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k^2} - \frac{11}{18}\, \frac{1}{3^2}\, \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(k+1)^2} =\)\(\displaystyle -\zeta(2) + \frac{11}{18}\, \zeta(2) -\frac{11}{162}\, \zeta(2) = -\frac{74}{162}\, \zeta(2) = \)\(\displaystyle -\frac{74}{162}\, \frac{\pi^2}{6} = -\frac{37\pi^2}{486}
\)
NOTE:

\(\displaystyle \frac{2}{27} = 0.0740740740...\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{37}{486} = 0.076131687...\)Looks like I need help on this one too! (Sun)

I' m sorry I only have access to the internet via my phone and writing latex using my phone will be very difficult so here is a hint

k can be written as 3k , 3k+1, 3k+2

Note that you have the last two terms in your sum.

ZaidAlyafey said:
I' m sorry I only have access to the internet via my phone and writing latex using my phone will be very difficult so here is a hint

k can be written as 3k , 3k+1, 3k+2

Note that you have the last two terms in your sum.

Hello, friend! (Hug)

That would have been my instinctive method of attack too, but then it leads to an evaluation in terms of Digammas (or equivalently, Dirichlet L-series), which Pranav was hoping to avoid.

ps. Hope the phone/internet thing is just a temporary situation... :cool:

Hey DW

Start by the alternating zeta function

$$\sum \frac{(-1)^k}{k^2} $$

Then separate it into three terms.

Ps: I hope so but that might take a long time.

ZaidAlyafey said:
Hey DW

Start by the alternating zeta function

$$\sum \frac{(-1)^k}{k^2} $$

Then separate it into three terms.

Ps: I hope so but that might take a long time.
I see what you mean there, but I'm not sure that will work; that's why I instinctively split it into 6 parts/series (4 to begin with, then two more added), since otherwise you end up with (new) signed coefficients \(\displaystyle (-1)^{3k}\, \), \(\displaystyle (-1)^{3k+1}\, \), and \(\displaystyle (-1)^{3k+2}\,\) , all of which, themselves, alternate in sign.

Unless I'm misunderstanding exactly how you mean applying the split...?

[Sorry] :eek::eek::eek:

$$\sum \frac{(-1)^k}{k^2}=\sum \frac{(-1)^k}{9k^2}-\sum \frac{(-1)^k}{(3k+1)^2}+\sum \frac{(-1)^k}{(3k+2)^2}$$

$$\sum \frac{(-1)^k}{(3k+2)^2}-\frac{(-1)^k}{(3k+1)^2}=\left(1- 1/9\right) \sum \frac{(-1)^k}{k^2}=\frac{-2\pi^2}{27}$$

ZaidAlyafey said:
$$\sum \frac{(-1)^k}{k^2}=\sum \frac{(-1)^k}{9k^2}-\sum \frac{(-1)^k}{(3k+1)^2}+\sum \frac{(-1)^k}{(3k+2)^2}$$

$$\sum \frac{(-1)^k}{(3k+2)^2}-\frac{(-1)^k}{(3k+1)^2}=\left(1- 1/9\right) \sum \frac{(-1)^k}{k^2}=\frac{-2\pi^2}{27}$$
Brilliant! I bow (seriously) before the master... (Sun)

Thanks for that, Zaid! (Hug)ps. Sorry for sort-of high-jacking your thread, Pranav! :eek::eek::eek:

ZaidAlyafey said:

Great! Thanks a lot! (Sun)

Thank you Dreamweaver for trying to help me out with the problem. :)

Related to Efficient Methods for Evaluating Complex Sums: A Scientific Approach

What is the purpose of evaluating a sum?

The purpose of evaluating a sum is to find the total value of a set of numbers. This is useful in many areas of science, such as calculating the amount of a substance in a solution or determining the overall energy of a system.

What are some common methods for evaluating a sum?

Some common methods for evaluating a sum include using a calculator, manually adding the numbers, and using mathematical formulas or algorithms. The method chosen will depend on the complexity and size of the sum.

How can I check if my sum is correct?

To check if your sum is correct, you can use the inverse operation to verify the result. For addition, this would be subtraction, and for multiplication, it would be division. You can also use a calculator or have someone else independently solve the sum.

What should I do if I encounter a large or complex sum?

If you encounter a large or complex sum, it is best to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also use a calculator or consult a math or science expert for assistance.

Is there a specific order in which I should evaluate a sum?

Yes, there is a specific order in which you should evaluate a sum to ensure an accurate result. This order is known as the order of operations and follows the acronym PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction).