Efficient Method for Extracting Square Root of Complex Expressions

In summary, the problem is asking for the square root of the expression $4((a^2-b^2)cd+ab(c^2-b^2))^2+((a^2-b^2)(c^2-b^2)-4abcd)^2$. The solution involves factoring and substitution, resulting in the simplified expression of $(a^2+b^2)(c^2+d^2)$ as the square root. Although expansion may seem laborious, it is necessary in this problem.
NotaMathPerson

Hello!

Is there a way to extract the square root of this expression without expanding? Please teach me how to go about it.

$4\left((a^2-b^2)cd+ab(c^2-b^2)\right)^2+\left((a^2-b^2)(c^2-b^2)-4abcd\right)^2$

I tried expanding it and it was very laborious and I end up not getting the correct answer.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello,
I don't see a square root in the expression. Are you asking us how to factor the expression?

suluclac said:
Hello,
I don't see a square root in the expression. Are you asking us how to factor the expression?

Hello! This problem is from a book and it says that I have to extract the square root of the expression.

Does the problem from the book say
4((a² - b²)cd + ab(c² - b²))² + ((a² - b²)(c² - b²) - 4abcd)²?

Last edited:
suluclac said:
Does the problem from the book say
4((a² - b²)cd + ab(c² - b²))² = ((a² - b²)(c² - b²) - 4abcd)²?

Here's the screen shot from the book.

Attachments

• algebra.png
    algebra.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 53
I'll take that as a no.

Last edited:

Hello!
I just finished solving the problem!

Here is how I solved it

I let $(a^2-b^2)=x$ and $(c^2-d^2)=y$

Now we have

$4(xcd+yab)^2+(xy-4abcd)^2$

expanding the terms

$4x^2c^2d^2+8xyabcd+4y^2a^2b^2+x^2y^2-8xyabcd+16a^2b^2c^2d^2$

Simplifying

$4x^2c^2d^2+4y^2a^2b^2+x^2y^2+16a^2b^2c^2d^2$

By using factoring

$x^2(4c^2d^2+y^2)+4a^2b^2(y^2+4c^2d^2) = (x^2+4a^2b^2)(4c^2d^2+y^2)$

Substituting the value of x and y$\left((a^2-b^2)^2+4a^2b^2\right) \left((c^2-d^2)^2+4c^2d^2\right)$

By expanding and some simplifications

$(a^4+2a^2b^2+b^4)(c^4+2c^2d^2+d^4)$Both factors are square of binomials

$(a^2+b^2)^2(c^2+d^2)^2$

Taking the square root

$(a^2+b^2)(c^2+d^2)$

I guess expansion is really necessary in this problem.

Correct.

Related to Efficient Method for Extracting Square Root of Complex Expressions

1. What is the process of extracting square root?

The process of extracting square root is finding the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. This is also known as the inverse operation of squaring a number.

2. What is the symbol for square root?

The symbol for square root is √, also known as the radical symbol. The number or expression inside the radical symbol represents the radicand.

3. How do you solve for the square root of a number?

To solve for the square root of a number, you can use a variety of methods such as long division, prime factorization, or the most common method, using a calculator. You can also estimate the square root by finding the closest perfect squares above and below the number.

4. Can any number have a square root?

Yes, any positive number has a square root. However, negative numbers do not have real square roots. This is because when multiplied by itself, a negative number results in a positive number. Imaginary numbers are used to represent the square root of a negative number.

5. What are some real-world applications of extracting square root?

Extracting square root is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and finance. In engineering, it is used to find the side lengths of a right triangle. In physics, it is used to calculate displacement and velocity. In finance, it is used to determine interest rates and loan payments.