Efficiency in a thermodynamic cycle

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the efficiency of a cycle for an ideal gas, specifically the a-b stage. The person knows that the answer is 16/97, but is having trouble calculating the heat in the a-b stage. They mention using the Gibbs equation and making some manipulations, but are unsure if they should consider ΔT=0. The other person suggests calculating the variation of Q along the path a-b to see how it varies and if it changes sign.
Alexandre Ricardo
I have to calculate the efficiency of the above cycle for an ideal gas, that goes at the order a-b-c-a:
CYCLE.png

I know that the answer is 16/97 but I can't calculate the heat in the a-b stage.

Attachments

• CYCLE.png
    CYCLE.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 930
Physics news on Phys.org
Alexandre Ricardo said:
I have to calculate the efficiency of the above cycle for an ideal gas, that goes at the order a-b-c-a:
View attachment 225655
I know that the answer is 16/97 but I can't calculate the heat in the a-b stage.
Let's see what you have done in detail for the a-b stage.

Chestermiller said:
Let's see what you have done in detail for the a-b stage.
Right. I started using the Gibbs equation:
$TdS=PdV+dU$
Using the relation:
∂U/∂v|T=T∂P/∂T|v-P

And making some manipulations I obtained:

dQa-b=cvdT+PdV

Considering an ideal gas. Using the ideal gas state equation, ΔT=0 and PdV=Wa-b.

And I found ΔQ=Wa-b=3P0V0/4

But i think there is something wrong in my calculations and I don't know if I would consider ΔT=0 (even if dT≠0)

Alexandre Ricardo said:
Right. I started using the Gibbs equation:
$TdS=PdV+dU$
Using the relation:
∂U/∂v|T=T∂P/∂T|v-P

And making some manipulations I obtained:

dQa-b=cvdT+PdV

Considering an ideal gas. Using the ideal gas state equation, ΔT=0 and PdV=Wa-b.

And I found ΔQ=Wa-b=3P0V0/4

But i think there is something wrong in my calculations and I don't know if I would consider ΔT=0 (even if dT≠0)
Calculate the variation of Q along the path a-b, and see how it varies. Does it change sign along the way?

Related to Efficiency in a thermodynamic cycle

1. What is efficiency in a thermodynamic cycle?

Efficiency in a thermodynamic cycle refers to the ratio of the useful work output to the total energy input in a system. It is a measure of how well a system converts energy into work.

2. How is efficiency calculated in a thermodynamic cycle?

The efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle is calculated by dividing the work output by the energy input, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage. This is also known as the Carnot efficiency, which is the maximum possible efficiency for a system operating between two temperatures.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle?

The efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, the type of working fluid used, and the design and operation of the system. Other factors such as friction, heat loss, and irreversibilities also play a role in reducing efficiency.

4. Why is efficiency important in a thermodynamic cycle?

Efficiency is important in a thermodynamic cycle because it determines the amount of useful work that can be obtained from a given amount of energy input. A higher efficiency means that less energy is wasted, resulting in cost savings and a more sustainable use of resources.

5. Can the efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle be greater than 100%?

No, the efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle cannot be greater than 100%. This would violate the second law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be completely converted from one form to another without some loss. The maximum efficiency is 100% for a reversible process and less than 100% for an irreversible process.