Effects of drag on the distance of a car travelling

In summary: So:x=\frac{m u^2}{2 F_d}+CAt t=0, x=0, so:x=\frac{m u^2}{2 F_d}At t=10 s, u=45.45 m/s, so:x=\frac{2000*45.45^2}{2*F_d}=657 mIn summary, to calculate the distance traveled by a car with initial speed of 100 m/s and deploying a parachute after 10 seconds, the equation -Fd = m du/dt can be integrated to get the displacement formula x=\frac{m u^2}{2 F_d}. With the given values of mass and initial speed, the resulting
oscar90

Homework Statement

A car starts at 100 m/s and deploys a parachute. After 10 seconds its speed decreases to 45.45 m/s. Calculate the distance the car has traveled in this duration. The effects of ground resistance are ignored.

drag coefficient and planform area product (Cd * A) = 4 m^2

Homework Equations

drag force, Fd = 1/2 (rho) * u^2 * Cd * A

rho = density, 1.22 kg/m^3
u = speed
Cd = drag coefficient
A = planform area

-Fd = m du/dt

m = mass

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I managed to calculate the speed after 10 seconds which is 45.45 m/s by integrating -Fd = m du/dt.

I cannot use the SUVAT equations to calculate the distance because it is not constant acceleration (I think). Besides, even if I try this method I get the question wrong. The answer from my lecturer is supposedly s=657m.

I think the above equation must be integrated again to get the displacement but I have tried and I think I'm missing something because I can't manipulate it so that I end up with s in the formula.

Please help as I have pulled my hair off trying to figure this out to no avail.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the value for mass?

Oops sorry forgot to put that value. Mass is 2000 kg.

[tex]ma=F_d[/tex]

And:

[tex]a dx=u du[/tex]

You get:

[tex]\int dx=\int\frac{m u}{F_d}du[/tex]

I would first clarify the assumptions and limitations of the problem. I would ask questions such as: Is the car moving in a straight line? Is the parachute the only source of drag on the car? Are we assuming a constant drag coefficient and planform area throughout the 10 seconds? Are we ignoring any other factors that may affect the car's speed, such as air resistance or changes in mass?

Once these factors are clarified, I would approach the problem by using the equations provided and integrating them to find the displacement. Since the speed is not constant, we cannot use the basic SUVAT equations, but we can use the equation -Fd = m du/dt to find the change in velocity over time. We can then integrate this to find the displacement.

However, since the answer given by your lecturer is different from what you have calculated, there may be a mistake in your calculations or assumptions. I would suggest double-checking your work and seeking help from your lecturer or a peer if needed. It is also important to clearly show your steps and assumptions in your solution to help identify any errors.

Related to Effects of drag on the distance of a car travelling

1. How does drag affect the distance a car can travel?

Drag is a force that acts in the opposite direction of a moving object and can cause resistance. As a car moves, it experiences drag from the air pushing against it. This drag force can decrease the car's speed and affect the distance it can travel.

2. What factors contribute to drag on a car?

Several factors can contribute to drag on a car, including the car's shape, speed, and surface texture. The shape of a car can create more or less drag depending on its aerodynamics. Higher speeds also create more drag due to increased air resistance. Finally, a rough surface texture can create more drag than a smooth one.

3. How does the weight of a car affect drag?

The weight of a car can indirectly affect drag by influencing its speed. A heavier car will require more energy to move and therefore may not be able to reach higher speeds, resulting in less drag. However, if a heavier car has a more aerodynamic shape, it may experience less drag than a lighter car with a less aerodynamic shape.

4. Can drag be reduced to increase the distance a car can travel?

Yes, there are ways to reduce drag and increase the distance a car can travel. One way is to improve the car's aerodynamics by changing its shape or adding features such as a spoiler. Another method is to reduce the car's weight, which will require less energy to move and decrease drag. Additionally, maintaining proper tire pressure and minimizing air resistance by keeping windows closed can also help reduce drag.

5. How does drag affect fuel efficiency in cars?

Drag can significantly impact a car's fuel efficiency. As drag increases, so does the amount of energy required to move the car. This, in turn, increases the amount of fuel needed to power the car. Therefore, reducing drag can improve a car's fuel efficiency and save money on gas.